S80 Serie III in Pink Gold

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
It's sometimes amazing what you find when you aren't looking for it: http://nonaka-actus.com/?pid=16587512.

The pink gold plating appears to be available for all pitches and they're on multiple Japanese dealer websites.

I'd assume this is Selmer's response to the Yanagisawa 992-PG horns.

Oh. Pricing. The Selmer tenor's only $19K. The Yani is only $9.7K (Kessler Music). For comparison, an Inderbinen tenor is only $11K.

Only :).

Selmer is high in the market on a number of horns. I was talking to my tech today about the Serie III bari's. His opinion is that they are amazing players but since Selmer took out a lot of metal they are a bit more delicate. The upside is apparently immediate response. The downside is that you'll be seeing your repair guy more often.

I'm sure the plating accounts for a bit of the price. Also, if you pay $19K for your horn, one assumes you'll treat it delicately :).

I wonder. Y'know, in the past few years there have been a few "niche" saxophones that have been brought to the market. I wonder if Selmer, Yani, et al have looked at the prices for custom flutes and said, "I bet if we add some extra shiny, we could charge a higher price!"

The numbers don't add up

I've got a couple of nuggets that I've found during gold panning that would account for all of the gold needed - that plating is pretty thin, even when doubled or tripled. The trip through the plating plant couldn't account for more than $500.00 more "labor".

Well, I did say "a bit." How much silver and gold do you need to plate a saxophone with? I've asked that before and haven't gotten an answer.

Back
Top Bottom