Sax Alley Thumbhook

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
My 170k Mark VI tenor sax came with the original plastic thumbhook. In 2004 I picked up a replacement thumbhook from Tim at http://www.saxalley.com/thumbhook.html. Tim calls his "The Ultimate Thumbhook" and I would have to agree. It's really well made. Made in the USA according to Tim's site and it fits my thumb well. The best part is that the hook is fully adjustable.

I think that a horn has to feel good in the hands in addition to having killer tone. The $40 spent on this piece of equipment still rates as one my best purchases.

I have the Ton Kooiman Forte thumbrest on my tenor and it has made an incredible difference in my playing. I was suffering from tendonitis and after I got the thumbrest, my problems when away and haven't bothered me since (two years). I wish saxophone manufacturers would take this into account and realize that the instrument should be ergonomic all the way around, not just on the keywork.

I like the brass replacement thumbhooks that I purchased for a VII tenor plus Yani alto, both at PM Woodwinds in Chicago. Both fully adjustable and very reasonable at $25 apiece.

the biggest issue i seem to have with thumbrest is if the edges are square, then they tend to dig into my thumb. if they are rounded then I normally do not have any issue.

I still have the original plastic thumbrests on both my VIIs and like their position and such.

But when you say these thumbrests are fully adjustable but how much and in what directions ? and can you post some pics.

PM Woodwinds sell lacquered brass thumb hooks
and claim that they are the same ones
that are on new Selmers.
They sure look the same as the hook on my Serie III.
They fit Yani as well.
I have them on a Yani alto & two Yani tenors
and on a VII tenor.
They are sculpted smooth & are nicely rounded
with no rough edges.

Steve, on the pm site there are pictures that show the cut out of the hook
to enable one to predict adjustment possibility.
They can be shifted up,down, left, and to the right some.

I like them better than the Saxgourmet/Music Medic type hook
with the added on part to the left of the hook.

I found Josh to respond quickly to emails
and with shipping as well.

Last edited:
I will go to PM Woodwinds if there's something I need and I want to buy it locally. They're a great shop and easy to deal with. The main issue for me is that they're about an hour drive from where I live and that means the trip is normally done on a Saturday. As a result, it is sometimes quicker for me to order something online than to make a trip.

Back
Top Bottom