Sax Quartet sheetmusic

I've been arranging sax quartets since 2003, and the Royal City SQ has played several of them. Anyone else out there composing or arranging?

At least I'm not decomposing.

I haven't done arranging in quite awhile, but I had thought about rearranging some choral pieces for sax ensemble -- I used to work for a variety of churches and some of the Glad and Integrity Music acapella charts lend themselves nicely to sax partage: I did a complete arrangement of Glad's "O! For a Thousand Tongues to Sing" before relocating to a different church job where there just wasn't enough saxophone players (to do it "right", you need six; four can work, tho).

Glad's music is cool, and I never thought about doing that on saxes. Maybe I'll try one. We have 6 saxes in our church, and we did a sextet on 12/30/07. Where did you get the source music and permission?

"Have they recorded any of them?"

No professional recording yet. I've got a demo recording of them playing 6 charts, and I have a recording of some of their sets from the Alexandria Bay NY Jazz/Ragtime festival where they played a few of my charts. We've talked about doing a recording, but it hasn't gone beyond talk so far.

tbmartin said:
Glad's music is cool, and I never thought about doing that on saxes. Maybe I'll try one. We have 6 saxes in our church, and we did a sextet on 12/30/07. Where did you get the source music and permission?
I just bought the octavos. There were both octavos and a "reduction" for voice. The "reduction" didn't cut it. Glad no longer sells the octavo, but sells sheet music that's *allegedly* the full performance track. Check out http://www.glad-pro.com/cartv3/cat.asp?Category=3.

I administrated copyright for the church I worked at. There shouldn't have been a problem as a) I bought enough books for the people playing the parts and b) the performance wasn't going to have been recorded (for distribution, at least). And we had our yearly fee paid up :).

YouTube selections that could pretty nicely be transcribed for a sax ensemble:
You Put this Love in my Heart
Easter Song
In the First Light

Might also want to check out some Take 6. They older stuff is pretty fun, particularly their first album.

Oh. By the way, I used Finale version 1. On a Mac 512. Not for the arrangement I did, but that's the app I used at one of the jobs in my past life.

If anyone has had experience with Finale 1.0, you'll understand why I am the way I am today: it's got beautiful printout, but if you think Finale is difficult to use today, think how it was 20-odd years ago :emoji_astonished:.

Back
Top Bottom