Saxamaphone??

Hey im considering taking up the saxophone, and to be honest have absolutely no idea on how to go about it...

Is there much of a second hand markt around for them? I already play bass anf guitar see, so i dont wanna spend big cash on it.

Also are they very loud. As in would i disturb a lot of people by practicing........?

They can be very loud, but not Marshall stack loud, and they can also be played very softly.

There is quite a market for them second hand, but there is plenty of junk on the new and second hand markets.

Give us an idea of your price range and we can throw suggestions your way.

Playable instruments can be found for $100 if you look or know who to ask and decent mouthpieces can be had for $20.

None of us play these sort of instruments regularly, (Super cheap beaters, that is), but some of us have these cheap instruments and mouthpieces as backup/loaner pieces. (Somebody here might have an inexpensive instrument that they could be persuaded to part with cheaply if asked nicely. You never know.)

Last edited:
Perhaps, does this still stand if i live in Ireland.......... its hard to find a decent second hand instrument market for anything here, except maybe a guitar.....

Also, is the mouthpiece not.. attached to he saxaphone already?

The mouthpiece goes on the neck and thus you have a rather large amount of options for different mouthpieces. I would recommend a sturdy student level horn like a Yamaha 23. What kind of music do you want to play?

insink (sorry; had to do it), I'd recommend that you look at all the threads in http://www.woodwindforum.com/forum/index.php?forums/saxophones.1324/. I've got a feature-length article in there. Ed's got another, someplace.

We do both agree that you should get a Yamaha sax: they're the best, most consistent horns for student/intermediate players. On the pro level, there's always a question, but not on the student/intermediate level.

See my advice in the INTRODUCTIONS thread.

Moderators, it may be better if all of this was under one thread. DAVE

Yah. I've gotta write out something for the mods. I'll try; I just haven't had a contiguous block of time.

Back
Top Bottom