SaxOnline, New Website

There's a website, in it's infancy, that may be of interest to some of you here.

http://www.saxonline.info/

"SaxOnline.info (SaxOnline.org) will be available soon to bring the saxophone community a resource where you can share information and photographs of your saxophones with the goal of building the largest saxophone photo and information repository available anywhere."

Last edited:
"the largest saxophone photo and information repository available anywhere."
Didn't I already do that with saxpics.com? Just sayin' ....

:D

In any event, while I ran saxpics.com, I came across many folks that wanted to do the same thing I did or a small variation thereof (like a concentration on only one pitch or whatever) and these websites generally die fairly soon after their birth. The main reason is because a properly-run gallery take an AWFUL lot of work and it's almost impossible for even several people to handle.

And the bandwidth for picture storage can get incredibly expensive, incredibly fast.

I've even offered people advice:

* Do a website on only bass/contrabass/extra low saxophones. There aren't too many folks that made those.
* Do a website on only one make/model. (The main one that's selected is "Selmer Mark VI". I still haven't seen a good website on this topic.)
* Do a website on only one manufacturer. There are a few of these: HN White, Martin and Conn are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, but these tend to gloss over "just" saxophone because, face it, these manufacturers really didn't "concentrate" on saxophones. They concentrated on brasswinds.
* Do a website on only Italian or German makes. Not too many of these and not too many models. Unfortunately, these horns aren't as popular as even SML or Buffet's horns.
* Do a website on saxophone ads. There are quite a few and they're always interesting.

I've even offered people webspace and picture storage. No takers.

Just an opinion.

I wish Dixie luck, but the averages are against the website being around for too long.

Back
Top Bottom