Saxophone Resale Values

jbtsax

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
I recently conducted a study of Ebay average sales prices for used professional model alto saxophones using Terapeak Market Research. Prices were obtained for various models from the four major brands sold in the U.S. along with two of the well established brands from Taiwan. The results are shown in the attached pdf file. I have since learned that the findings do not necessarily represent the European market with regard to the Taiwanese brands.

Is this a comparison of brand new horn price with used prices? If so, you're missing one really important part: condition. That's especially the case when you're talking about a make/model that's been around for a long while, like the S80 Serie II (and with that, was that the non-Jubilee?).

Answered my own question. Un momento.

Sorry 'bout that.

What I then wanted to mention is that some of the models you list have been around for a very long time, like the S80 Serie II. It's a little unfair to compare the original price of an S80 II in 1986 to a brand new S80 II (which is the new Jubilee series, I think). Additionally, that's 26 years ago. You've got an awful lot of inflation to consider. Design improvements, too. As another example, the Yamaha 875EX and Yamaha 875 are "radically" different horns and Yamaha's tinkered with the neck designs quite a bit over the years.

I think that the comparisons for the newer horns are more interesting, but it does confirm something I already knew: you get the horn outta the showroom and it immediately depreciates. Just like cars.

FWIW, WWBW.com sells both new and used and gives you prices for both. As an example, a lacquer YAS-875EX is $3775 new and $3398 "gently used." That's around 10% of a drop. A brand new P. Mauriat System 76 in gold lacquer is $2279 (before rebate) and "gently used" is $2051, so they're being consistent with the %.

Here's a fun question for the group: what was your last brand-spankin' new horn and when did you buy it? While I bought a couple of YAS and YTS-23s over the years, I don't remember when. The last one I vividly remember was a YBS-52 around 1987. For $1800. That's about $3500 in today's money. I sold the horn around 1993 for $1500. That's $2300 in today's cash. WWBW sells the YBS-52 new for $4962.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your point is well taken about the Series II. There were so many listed for sale. Some were advertised as Super Action 80 Series II, and some were listed as Series II model 52. I wasn't sure if they were the same model or not so to be safe I limited the search to those that added "model 52".

A new search just conducted for just "Selmer Series II alto" turned up 23 sales in just the last 90 days alone. The high price was $2900 and the low was $1750 with the average $2313. If I could find a "pre-jubilee" price on these or even a close estimate, the chart could be revised to be more in line with the actual values.

One of the things worth noting, I beleve, is the fact that the more established Taiwanese brands seem to be holding their own with the "Big Four" when it comes to resale value.

One of the things worth noting, I beleve, is the fact that the more established Taiwanese brands seem to be holding their own with the "Big Four" when it comes to resale value.
I'm not completely convinced on that.

The newest Taiwanese horns you have on the list, namely:

Cannonball Vintage
P Mauriat PMXA-67R

Have value hits in the 60% + range and that could literally be that you just bought it and turned around and sold it. They're new enough for that. The newest Selmer on your list, the S80 III, only has a hit in the 50%+ range. Admittedly, 10% difference isn't that much when you're dealing with such a small sample size, but I'd think it'd be a lot higher if you could extend the data sample. Additionally, if you look at a high/low selling price, I'd wonder if the lowest selling price on one of these "name brand" Taiwanese horns is considerably lower (% wise) than that of a Selmer, Yanagisawa, Keilwerth or Yamaha. Conversely, I'd wonder if the highest selling point for a Taiwanese horn is considerably lower than that of a Selmer, Yanagisawa, Keilwerth or Yamaha.

I would like to see a few more of the Keilwerth Shadow models. Those are the newest horns on your list, period. I think they came out this year or last year.

Gotta run!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to see a few more of the Keilwerth Shadow models. Those are the newest horns on your list, period. I think they came out this year or last year.

Gotta run!

errr ... didn't the Shadows come out like 7 years ago ?

I'm fairly sure I heard "New Shadow model!" It's supposed to have a bit different keywork than the other SX90Rs. Maybe that's the difference. Hey, I never paid that much attention to new horns. I'm starting to, now.

Back
Top Bottom