Secret Garden

Merlin said:
Gandalfe said:
Whoa, tough range for mortals. :emoji_astonished:

You mean the book's content? Or the handful of horns?
The handful of horns. The recorder is not an easy instrument to pick up and I have a soprano, alto, tenor, and bass recorder that I haven't spent enough time with.

But to some people this kind of learning come easy. To me it's all about time on instrument and working towards fluidity.

Gandalfe said:
Merlin said:
Gandalfe said:
Whoa, tough range for mortals. :emoji_astonished:

You mean the book's content? Or the handful of horns?
The handful of horns. The recorder is not an easy instrument to pick up and I have a soprano, alto, tenor, and bass recorder that I haven't spent enough time with.

But to some people this kind of learning come easy. To me it's all about time on instrument and working towards fluidity.

Once you get past the saxophonists inclination to make all of the fingering systems and notation the same, the recorder family isn't so bad to learn.

Gandalfe said:
Do you own all of those?

I can borrow an alto flute, though I may just look into getting one again.

I need the F, low D and Bb whistles, but those are cheap.

I'm really not even contemplating trying the panpipes; I'll just play those parts on flute.

I picked up the remaining whistles the other day.

Got a Susato low D whistle. Not the tunable, keyed one, just the plain Dublin model. The F whistle is a brass Generation. Bb whistle is a chrome Generation.

At least I can tell my whistles apart easily - they're all different colours.

Still looking for an alto flute, though one dealer in town rents them for $52/mth.

I'm splitting the gig with another player, and she's rented an alto flute, so that's covered.

Finally hunted down a panflute today. 15 notes, G to G, in the key of C. $40. It's a Dixon, with plastic tubes, and the ends have corks so the instrument can be fine tuned.

Here's the whole mess set up at rehearsal today:

2407865503_909c470204.jpg

Managed to make all of the changes in the show without incident. The only problem I had was with stupid page turns.

Which, of course, wouldn't be a bad pic for the calendar (it'd have to be bigger, but still ...)

What's the white thing on the (not music) stand? Looks like a microphone.

pete said:
Which, of course, wouldn't be a bad pic for the calendar (it'd have to be bigger, but still ...)

What's the white thing on the (not music) stand? Looks like a microphone.

The pic quality is actually quite poor. 2mp cam built into my phone.

The white thing to the right of the music stand is a low D pennywhistle. It's the Dublin model by Susato. The nicer ones have a key down the bottom, and have a tunable head.

What's the story with the wooden flute stands? Did you make those or buy those.

I've got Terry's directions for making a Bari stand but haven't found the time to do it yet. Although at the moment I'm only playing bari and tenor so I can get by with a couple of the Hercules stands (great value by the way although I've already hosed up one of the bari stands as the peg won't stay in place and just runs to the bottom).

And I have a water bottle holder on my pit music stand that could be used to hold the pan flute. This is a very interesting and telling picture Merlin. Maybe when the show ends and you are finished refining the placements you could get a high quality picture for the calendar. That'd be way cool. You are such a :ugeek: (uber geek for the uninitiated).

Can I use this picture on my blog?

Ed Svoboda said:
What's the story with the wooden flute stands? Did you make those or buy those.

Those were made by an oboist in the Toronto area named Peter Voisey. I don't think he's doing them any more, as he now works for Legere reeds.

I've also got an Eb clarinet riser and peg for that set.

Back
Top Bottom