Selmer Jubilee (125th Anniv) Saxes

You'd think Borgani might have a issue with using the name Jubilee

Before Borgani used the name Jubilee, there was a company that had Jubilee saxophones stencilled by the Dörfler & Jörka (D&J) saxophone company from Nauheim, Germany. D&J made horns between 1950 & 1968 and are sometimes (incorrectly) called Keilwerth stencil saxes, because they used Keilwerth body tubes. In fact D&J added their own key work to the JK body tubes, and had different neck tapers than the Keilwerth Toneking and New King models of the same period.

So you see, while Borgani might be using the word Jubilee now, they are not in any way the first to do so. Since the word isn't trademarked, they can't claim infringement.

Where's our legal eagle? Grant... You are you around? What's your take on this?

My guess is that Selmer's legal department would have carefully checked this out before hand. Given what they will have soaked into these new horns, it would be too expensive if they were to have to redo all the promo materials, horns, etc, after they've come up with a new descriptive word for their new saxes. Not to mention all the court costs...

Before Borgani used the name Jubilee, there was a company that had Jubilee saxophones stencilled by the Dörfler & Jörka (D&J) saxophone company from Nauheim, Germany. D&J made horns between 1950 & 1968 and are sometimes (incorrectly) called Keilwerth stencil saxes, because they used Keilwerth body tubes. In fact D&J added their own key work to the JK body tubes, and had different neck tapers than the Keilwerth Toneking and New King models of the same period.

So you see, while Borgani might be using the word Jubilee now, they are not in any way the first to do so. Since the word isn't trademarked, they can't claim infringement.

Where's our legal eagle? Grant... You are you around? What's your take on this?

My guess is that Selmer's legal department would have carefully checked this out before hand. Given what they will have soaked into these new horns, it would be too expensive if they were to have to redo all the promo materials, horns, etc, after they've come up with a new descriptive word for their new saxes. Not to mention all the court costs...

Interesting info about D&J.

I don't know about what if any tangles legally there are between Selmer and Borgani might happen. I just think it's tacky to use another maker's current model name instead of something else. Selmer's marketing department could have least been more innovative. Then again, there's only an engraving change and lighter redesigned neck octave key. The design department didn't break a sweat either.

I seem to remember that Selmer used the "Jubilee" name for a specific finish combination for horns made in 2000. I might be misremembering. Getting too old ....

Back
Top Bottom