Selmer Model 41 contrabass clarinet adjustments

Is there a repair publication that tells how to adjust the lower register of Selmer Model 41 Rosewood contrabass clarinets, or does anyone have suggestions?

Welcome to the forum, pmfbsn1!

What "adjustments" are you referring to? Having intonation problems with something or are you wanting to do an overhaul?

I am looking for a chronological adjustment (i.e. key by key, "do this first, then this" kind of guidance). I need to have the lowest C/C-sharp/D close correctly. The pads seat, however, for example, the mechanism does not produce a good thumb low C without adding low E keys. The rest of the instrument is fine. I do my own oboe, english horn, bassoon and contrabassoon adjustments so I don't have reservations about doing it.

It would be good to know a repair facility in the northeast as well if anyone can supply that!

Thanks!

I'll move your thread to the Repair area, when I get a chance.

I'd first recommend making sure all the pads are sealing properly. Our resident repair CE has mentioned that even if some pads "look" like they're sealing, that they might actually be damaged, particularly if you have low quality pads. He's got a machine he recommends testing with.

However, I'm not sure what you're referring to regarding the low C not playing in tune unless you add the low E keys. I played contra for awhile -- a Leblanc paperclip to low C -- and if you're referring to the fingering t 123|ooo | E (o = open, t = thumb F, not the octave key), that sounds more than a little odd. If you're talking about the lowest C (the Model 41 is a low C contra), it sounds to me like holding down the low E is making the pad seal better.

That's a good question.
I haven't touched a contrabass recently much less repaired one. I keep my repairs to certain instruments that i'm well versed with.

But if you have done repairs before then each repair is "somewhat" identical.

First would start at the top and determine if each section has any issues. A leak up top could affect lower notes.

Also while doing that you should watch the mechanisms. If the mechanism closes more than one pad then pay particular attention to those. close with the key, then use light finger pressure on each cup and see if there is any slop in the action. If there is, then you'll have to figure out what is the issue - such as a small cork that has fallen off, etc.

If i had one in front of me I could fiddle with the mechanisms and tell you more .....

Back
Top Bottom