Selmer USA Bass Clarinet Serial # ?

Hi,
Just bought a Selmer Bass Clarinet ser # 767xx.
1. How can I find the make and model and year?

2. It plays nicely but there is one hole at the very top that has me puzzled as it does not seem to have any obvious way to open it.

3. The lady I bought it from says it was her son's and he hasn't played for at least 15 years which brings up the stains on it that I cannot remove with Silvo silver polish.

The shine comes on brilliantly generally but there is stills stains on it. Also when I polish it the keys get so slippery my fingers slide off.
4. Any solutions for these two issues?

Thanks, I appreciate any thoughts.

#3 I tried some Mother's Mag and Aluminum Cleaner and it removed the majority of the remaining stain on the bell and the top metal tube. Looks better but not absolutely clean. Then I put some carnauba/beeswax polish on it to protect and it looks pretty nice. I didn't do the keys as I am a bit wary of bending them.

1. @Steve. Note that harmony clarinets, i.e. anything other than your standard Bb soprano clarinets, may have a different serial number chart. It's also going to make a difference if your horn is a Selmer USA or a Selmer Paris horn.
2. I'm glad you figured it out!
3. Be sure it's silver plate and not nickel. Silver plate tarnishes a blackish purple. Nickel tarnishes a cloudy-ish white/brown. If you're using a polish for the wrong kind of plating, you can have issues. If you're using an abrasive polish, you can have issues.
4. Done?
5. ???
6. Profit.

Back
Top Bottom