Selmer USA Saxophones

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
It looks like Selmer USA is dumping inventory on the LaVoix horns. They've removed any reference to Selmer USA saxophones on their site as well. Maybe Dave Kessler could comment on this development.

Great! Does that mean my Selmer AS110 is now a collector's item appreciating in value??? :emoji_rolling_eyes:

Probably not yet.

One of the worst put together horns I ever encountered was an AS-110 until I went to woodwind and brasswind and had a Serie III still in the plastic literally have the top stack fall off the horn.

Since that first experience with the AS-110 I have had an opportunity to play some older ones that had actually seen a tech and found them to be pretty decent horns.

Selmer has replaced the LaVoix line of horns with their new "LaVoix II". I think that the industry has a love affair with "II" right now...

They decided to ditch the whole "Large Bell" concept as in the end, the way that the Taiwanese do it (by simply extending the lip of the bell further but not changing the throat of the bell) makes no performance difference. They had originally done it to attempt to direct compare it to the Cannonball type horns in the consumers mind.

The new models are standard bell flares. They are still Taiwan, and they are still quite pricey.

The Selmer USA (made in the USA) have been discontinued for awhile. They used to still do the AS300 (Bundy II) which was made in the USA, which is why they still had reference to it. But since all Selmer USA saxes are now Taiwan, they have dumped the "USA" branding since it would be misleading.

Yah. I had commented, elsewhere, that Selmer USA and all its "co-companies" (Leblanc, King, etc.) have a whole lotta broken links and/or missing equipment from their websites. Hey, try to find something made by Martin on the Leblanc website!

Note that Selmer still has a picture-link for USA saxophones, but it doesn't go anyplace (see http://www.selmer.com/content/products.php).

Dave,

Thanks for clearing that up.

Congrats on the Pro Shop for Selmer Paris. You guys are only one of three in the country.

I just saw this thread... I think the Selmer USA site only did that temporarily. They list Selmer USA saxes as: SS, AS, TS and BS 500 and 600 Aristocrat...

I just saw this thread... I think the Selmer USA site only did that temporarily. They list Selmer USA saxes as: SS, AS, TS and BS 500 and 600 Aristocrat...
They also have the LaVoix II.

Gotta love the ad copy for the LaVoix: "No sonic stones, no huge bells, no zebra finishes. These saxophones are all horn - no hype."

Let's see. That's a shot at Cannonball, possibly P. Mauriat (too), and LA Sax.

The 600s, as you mention, are stamped "Aristocrat". The 500s are stamped "Selmer".

They also have the LaVoix II.

Gotta love the ad copy for the LaVoix: "No sonic stones, no huge bells, no zebra finishes. These saxophones are all horn - no hype."

Let's see. That's a shot at Cannonball, possibly P. Mauriat (too), and LA Sax.

The 600s, as you mention, are stamped "Aristocrat". The 500s are stamped "Selmer".

OK, just to clear up the confusion that I'm starting to momentarily suffer after reading all of this and the Bundy thread (must be lack of caffeine this AM), all these Selmer USA horns we're talking about, sold under whatever name they are flying under (LaVoixII, Aristocrat, Selmer, & Bundy) are all student horns, or intermediate level at best, right? Selmer USA is not making pro level horns at the moment...Or are they? (Oops...Did I really want to open that can of worms?)...

The LaVoix is considered "intermediate". If you look at any of the other models on the Conn-Selmer website, the "student" block is highlighted -- and the 500 & 600 altos are priced way below $1000, so that also = "student model" ($783 for the 500, $686 for the 600).

Simple answer: I can't see any pro models from Selmer USA on their website.

Looks like King & Conn have rebranded versions of the above horns. Martin doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Back
Top Bottom