Selmer's Now Selling Used Horns

Well why should they be the only ones competing against their own, vintage and used instruments? Makes total sense. Not sure why they didn't do it sooner.

Selmer is only offering this within the EU. Maybe they will expand the program if it is successful. Maybe they don't want to deal with customs issues.

It's a interesting concept. I didn't look too much into it because I didn't want to make a account so here are the questions I have for it. Is this just like another eBay where you can post your own ads and Selmer will take a cut of it? How will they protect their buyers and sellers? Are all these horns kept at some sort of warehouse (This question is for if it isn't a sort of eBay format)? What do they mean by " Revised and adjusted with the greatest care by our craftsmen or by the best repairers of our authorised network" are they just doing overhauls or complete rebuilds and potentially replacing parts? This is a interesting idea and I'm curious to see how it will go. It'll be interesting to see if a North American program is to be set up as mentioned by Bari Sax Guy!

Is this just like another eBay where you can post your own ads and Selmer will take a cut of it?
I've only done a cursory look, but it looks like they're selling horns from authorized Selmer dealers, like https://www.raffaeleinghilterra.it, rather than just Selmer Pro Shops. As Dan pointed out, it does say, on the Selmer website, "They have been serviced and adjusted with the utmost care by our craftsmen or by the best repairers from our certified network." You'd think that'd be Pro Shops, only.

If any of you live in the EU, particularly if you can read and write French, drop Selmer.fr a line and ask. Also, if anyone in the EU can just take a couple pics of their Selmer and upload to their used horn linky, it'd be interesting to see the results.

This really isn't a trade in. It's just, "Sell it to us and we'll give you cash." We've actually had trade-ins for years: go to your local dealer/online dealer and ask if they'll put your horn towards a different horn. I've done this a number of times. Also, if you are trading in toward a (much) more expensive horn, generally the dealer will give you (somewhat) more for the trade-in than directly selling to him because the instrument that you're trying to buy has a markup.

I'm not sure why Selmer didn't do the full trade-in thing. I think it makes more sense than just selling used stuff.

Selmer's taking a cut somewhere. They're a company, after all. Companies are around to make money. :D

Back
Top Bottom