Selmer's springy pivots

Hi

I have another question and I got some contradicting information.

When did Selmer start using the springy ends for keys mounted on pivot screws (e.g. G, high E, etc.)?

One source claims it started with the SA80. Another source claims this model doesn't have them, and it started with the SA80SII. A third source I found claims the SII didn't have this at first, and this started sometime during the production of the SII.

Does anyone know for sure which is correct?

Thanks

When I was in college, Selmer had their displays at the UM booth. At that time they had the spring plugs which was in 1984 - probably just the tenor and maybe the alto .. which was with the SA80 Serie I. I believe it was more limited in the long rods (bell key rods) whereas they are all over the place now.

But I swear one of the ads I saw for the original 1981 SA80 referenced the spring plugs ... but that was a long time ago

Interesting. Two repairers just told me it started during the production of the SA80SII, in the late 80s. However those are from Australia and Canada, and said that's what they remember in their area.

Are you absoltuely sure they had the springy ends in 1984? Did they have some disassembled keys for you to see? Or did they talk with you about it (i.e. promote their new system, etc.)?

I think I'll email Selmer to ask too.

Thanks

I was in college. They did not take apart a tenor to show me - plus it was a sales rep and not a tech. I just saw their brochure at that time and asked the rep about it .

why your at it asking Selmer ... ask them when they started using rivets on the Seires IIs to hold the ribs in before soldering. You can see them from the inside of the body.

added: and ask them what the key code is that one can see in the Ref 54s altos from the bell C# key .. such as "O61 SS"

Last edited:
You can also look in back issues of the Saxophone Journal -- hint, hint, Ed -- because the S80 was advertised quite heavily, there, and I remember seeing the springy screws -- generally on the front page.

I seem to remember the spring loaded hinge being advertised by Selmer as being one of the main differences between the original SA80 and the SA80II. That and the redesigned front high F key.

Julian

Back
Top Bottom