serial number question

I recently purchased a brand new clarinet. It's made of hard rubber and I like the instrument. The problem is that only the lower piece has a serial number. The seller says that's the only piece that's numbered and there's no problem. Seems to me that (1) if I wanted to resell, there's no way of "proving" both pieces were intended to go together, and (2) if I take it for repair and there's more than one instrument of that type, there could be an inadvertent (or intended?) switch in parts. In any case, was wondering if anyone on the board had a recommendation for me. Should I forget about it, or pursue it? If pursue it, what to request? The seller says none "of the batch" has a serial number for that part.

All of the clarinets that I've had in my possession have had only one serial number on the body.

All of the clarinets that I've had in my possession have had only one serial number on the body.

Mine usually have one on either joint, but not on the barrel nor the bell.

If you have access to number punches, it's up to you to decide if you want to give the other joint a matching serial number or some other identification thingy.

All of my two piece horns have serials on both joints; all of the unibody instruments have only one such stamp.

None of the barrels or bells have a serial. However, the A clarinet barrels (purchased with the horn) all have an "A" or a "La" punched on them, even if there was no internal diameter difference in the bore of same from Bb (Sib) barrels. (I usually play my Bb/A pair with the A barrel, since I like the way that it "speaks" on both horns, compared to the traditional Bb barrel.)

None of my bass clarinet barrels (necks) have a serial number, although a couple of them have what looks to be a fabrication number stamped here or there. None of the bass bells have a serial.

There is one exception to all of this. My Italian (Orsi?) bass clarinet back from the "good old days" (i.e., pre-low Eb, and with manual dual octave keys) has only one serial, a three or four digit number (if my memory serves me well).

With all of the Chinese I.S.O.'s (instrument shaped objects) out there you should be grateful it even has a serial number. If it really bothers you, find an engraver who can engrave the number on the upper joint, bell, and barrel. That way they will always be together. ;-)

Thanks, everyone. In my limited experience with clarinets there were serial numbers for the 2 middle pieces (not mouthpiece, barrel or bell) which is why I was surprised when this one didn't have both parts labeled with serial numbers. But I'm glad most of you don't seem to think the absence is much of an issue.

Back
Top Bottom