Sidney Bechet

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Probably the greatest soprano sax player of all time.

Premier Bal
Saint Louis Blues 1952 His solo starting around 3:15 is about as wonderful as anything you'll ever hear on soprano sax.
Down By The Old Mill Stream 1958 Some great close up shots that really illustrate his use of jaw vibrato.
Sweet Georgia Brown 1958 A classic tune.

There's a lot more great Sidney Bechet stuff on youtube. Hopefully this turns on some folks to the great Sidney Bechet.

I have a copy at the house but haven't read it yet.

Well, looks like utube saw fit to pull all except the "Down By the Old Mill Stream." Sweety Baby, have your people call my people and we can do lunch!

'Down By the Old Mill Stream' was very exciting! Bechet was all over that like a cheap suit. I wonder if he influenced Barney Bigard, the way he would start a phrase on a high note on the upbeat. And the amount of intensity he's working with indicates that he's not to be trifled with.

Bechet's sarrusophone was recorded on MANDY, MAKE UP YOUR MIND in 1924 with Clarence Williams' Blue Five (Louis Armstrong on cornet, Buster Bailey on soprano saxophone, and Eva Taylor [C. Williams' wife] on the vocal). You can listen to it by going to www.redhotjazz.com.

Besides Bechet's dominant soprano, his clarinet was unparalleled and incomparable - maybe the best in all of jazz.

I have a LOT of Bechet material. Never read his book but I did read one about him - by Chilton, as I recall. DAVE

Back
Top Bottom