Sight Read This...

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/KF/2007/01/note/John_Stump_-_FaeriesAireandDeathWaltz.jpg

I especially like the Arranged by Accident, sell mutes and 'Move cattle offstage' notes. :eek:)

John_Stump_-_FaeriesAireandDeathWaltz.jpg

Crap, I keep forgetting to skip bar 7.

Anybody got a pencil?

Pay attention then, you're miscounting the 9 repeat bars.

Last time I saw this, once the penguins were released you couldn't keep the cattle on the stage even if you wanted to....

Chris

Try shorter fuses next time, and aim the timp fan away from the dirigible.

That and avoiding a 3rd clarinet should help.

The whole genre can **** ******.

In 1987 I played an entire season of modern symphonic drivel resembling this stuff. On one piece I spent 2 hours deciphering one bar. In the end I was the only one who had made the effort, so it was pretty pointless, as was the music.
Between seasons I re auditioned, on percussion this time, and made it as 3rd percussionist. Unfortunately the conductor wouldn't let me leave the violin section to go play the easier, and less time consuming percussion parts. I really don't care for purely nonsense technical writing which serves no real melodic or harmonic purpose.

I've always viewed such "modern works" as being mostly an effort on the part of their composers to differentiate themselves from those who have gone before. Composers have been churning out symphonic music for about two hundred and fifty years now, and it's hard to write something in that vein (i.e., classic "art music") that doesn't sound derivative. By striking out in "new" directions, modern composers can more easily escape the bounds set for them by those who have gone before.

My last Lukas Foss experience was the most surreal. He directed the Washington University (in Saint Louis) Symphonic Orchestra in a premier performance of one of his works. It consisted of a couple of pages of whole notes (the players of which were pre-selected by the maestro during the rehearsal), the dynamics being selected from the podium on the day of the performance. After about five minutes of this crap, there was a cadenza, a great big honking long one, that was written in C concert in all of the parts, but which was meant to be performed as written (i.e., not transposed) and played by everyone at their own pace, until all ended up on a C major chord.

I was the group's bass clarinetist/low saxophone/extra bassoon player that year, and I elected to play the "composition" on the school's old, rattling Heckel straight contra bassoon (that I had only just discovered the previous year, laying neglected in the back of the instrument storage room). The beauty of it was that, no matter what I played, it didn't really matter all that much.

A very nice guy, though, that Foss...

There's a piece by PDQ Bach with the speed indication of (when translated from the Italian), "Like a bat out of hell". I always liked that.

I've played only a couple avant garde pieces. The arrangements look worse than this. However, I don't have a clue how to read 6/1 time ....

So when are you posting your mp3 sample of it, Jim? Can't wait to hear you ;)

OK, so who's going to scan this into Finale and see what happens to the MIDI playback? :rolleyes:

Enjoy,

Grant

There's a piece by PDQ Bach with the speed indication of (when translated from the Italian), "Like a bat out of hell". I always liked that.

I've played only a couple avant garde pieces. The arrangements look worse than this. However, I don't have a clue how to read 6/1 time ....

6/1 is just 6 whole notes per bar: its the 1/66 that would be hard to parse...

Back
Top Bottom