SKB Contoured Pro Bari Case August 2008

I'm not clear on the differences between this new SKB and the BAM High Tech for bari: http://www.bamcases.com/wind_instrument ... p?l=en&p=5

I've had the BAM for 5 or so years, and I'm really happy with it. The price was crazy though! I paid around $700 Cdn for it, but then that was before our dollar and the US were at par. (My thinking though was for my really expensive horn, I'd rather spend some extra to keep it safe and out of the repair shop.) Since I've been using it, I've only had to have my bari adjusted once: pretty good considering the amount of use and travel it saw.

It will be interesting to see how the SKB will be priced.

I suspect it is going to be less than the BAM. I'm guessing about $500.

Hey you saw the price I sold the bari to Pete.

My last bari cost me about $1750 between purchase and repairs.

I've been willing to go to $2500 on a couple of project bass saxes and they've gone for more than that! :emoji_rolling_eyes:

I'd take a $500 bass though if anyone's offering (and I don't mean guitar). :D

I'm thinking the SKB will be pretty close in performance to the BAM but should be just a little lighter. I've thought about wheels for the Bari case but I fear jarring the horn.

Ed Svoboda said:
I'm thinking the SKB will be pretty close in performance to the BAM but should be just a little lighter. I've thought about wheels for the Bari case but I fear jarring the horn.

I too had the same thought when I first got my BAM. I just got into the habit of rolling it only on smooth surfaces like those you'd find in a club (always around, never overtop of the drunks ;) ), hotel, airport, anthing inside basically. I've never rolled it on concrete or gravel. New black top was OK though.

This is probably a whole other thread, but I'll slip it in here anyway: I always use key clamps on my horns when they're out of the house. I think that the key clamps combined with the smooth surfact rolling only rule, and the case design itself have allowed me to be so adjustment free over the years.

On my original Yamaha YBS-62 case, I had the option of snapping on small caster wheels on the end of the case. (The slide mounts would accept either the wheels or a snap in hard plastic slide.)

However, this all ended when I once rolled the case over some exposed finish aggregate concrete paving on the way to a presentation I made at a local university. The hundreds of thousands of small impacts from each of the very small bump I encountered actually melted the round, ball-like wheels on the Yamaha case. No more whells...

Back
Top Bottom