Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Sold: Howarth S20C Grenadilla English Horn

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
For sale: Howarth S20C Grenadilla English Horn in like new condition. Simplified covered finger plate conservatory model with left hand F key. Complete with Howarth #2 bocal, 3 reed case, 3 reeds, humidifier, case, and other accessories. $3500 plus shipping is what I will be posting on eBay in a week or so.

Update: here is the blog post about the sale of this instrument.

Last edited:
I must say that I have a weakness for thick fat silverplated keywork. Nickel just doesn't cut it. I know this is silly because I don't think there's an acoustical difference, but the luster of silver is just so much more appealing. This so contradicts my usual utilitaristic/parsimonious attitude. (unsettling, innit?)

But I digress.

To me, it feels a lot more sure under the fingertips. I have extremely oily skin (all over), and I had troubles for many years with fingers slipping at the end of a long evening of play. When I moved everything to silver plate - presto - no more problem.

It ain't cheap. But, spread out over the life of the horn, it's not all that much.

I have my Selmer (Paris) Mazzeo horn on the hardstand, ready for an overhaul and silver plating.

as far as I can tell, silver also largely avoids showing the smearing of finger oils that nickle shows.

Oddly, the shiniest silver plate I've seen on a saxophone is frome Evette-Schaeffer from about 1900 to about 1930. It's almost as shiny as nickel. And thick.

Anyone try gold-plated keywork?

Back
Top Bottom