Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Spam attack!

I say, could it be that we have a major spam attack in progress? :emoji_rolling_eyes:

I just took care of it Ruth. I don't think there's any left. Do you see any?

Oops, just realized that you left this message a few minutes ago. I was dealing with it at the time...You're logged off already. Never mind.

Last edited:
I just took care of it Ruth. I don't think there's any left. Do you see any?
I don't envy you for that kind of janitoring job. I had to close the guest book on my site because of the ever same bore enlargement and reed stiffener ads. (I wonder who's actually buying that crap)

I guess clicking on the traffic sign triangle would be the official way, right?

Oh yeah - thank you all for the work behind the scenes.

The software we use for the forum makes jobs like this easier than they used to be. If anyone sees something fishy then let us know by reporting the post. We'll get on it as soon as possible.

IPhone

Looks like another spam attack. What is the best way to report these? I looked for a "report" button under the IP's name, but didn't see anything.
Ruth

I'm not seeing anything called IPhone at all Ruth. Unless one of the other mods/admin types dealt with it, and forgot to note it here.

If you see something that you want/need to report, all you need to do is click the white & red triangular sign with the exclamation mark in it. It is located directly to the right of the post number, on the top, right side of the posting.

Thank you, Helen! I never knew what that triangle was for.

It does indeed appear that the apparent spam has been dealt with. Last evening when I posted the above note, there were three identical posts in three of the sub forums which looked like some kind of promotion.

Regards.
Ruth

I saw them also after you mentioned it. I figured they would be deleted as soon as one of the list moderators was notified. I too did not know what the triangle was for.

Richard

I usually hover and linger over pictures or picture links, and sometimes a sensible web site programmer provided a popping-up explanation such as "report post" or "do not click this link".

re: Spam.

Although it's a delicious spiced luncheon meat, we really don't want it on our forums. I've turned on a couple more features in this newest version of vBulletin that make it a little more difficult to register a new account, but it should cut down on a large percentage of spam.

The latest update:

You may have seen that a bunch of users have recently signed up and then their accounts just go *poof* in the Member List. What I've been doing, when I have time, is check all new users against lists of known spam usernames/e-mail addresses/IP addresses -- even before you see a single post from that username.

The ones on those lists get my, "You've got a problem with your account. E-mail me" message when someone logs in using those accounts.

pete: keeping your forums spam free since 1999 :D.

pete: keeping your forums spam free since 1999 :D.

How about a "Which do you prefer, spam or broccoli?" poll?:emoji_rage:

Keep up the good work Pete.

About a week ago I installed a plugin into my weblog in an effort to deal with the overwhelming amount of spam that I am getting buried in. This plugin (little piece of software really) checks all incoming traffic on my blog against 2 of these websites that track IP addresses known for spamming. When a known spambot/spammer lands on my site, the connection is automatically terminated. This means that legitimate people should (in theory) be the only ones using the pages, thus getting faster page loads.

During the first week what I've seen is that during a 24 hour period, this plugin is blocking approximately 750 to 800 spambots on my site. That's just crazy!

I'm slowly implementing some changes to improve security.

As of now, people cannot register using an e-mail address from mail.ru -- I also believe any current users that have a mail.ru e-mail are now banned (if you did get banned and you're a legitimate user, please e-mail me at thesaxinfo@gmail.com).

Sorry, but I had gone through about a 1/2 dozen more ban candidates today (spambots) that all had mail.ru e-mail addresses.

I'm going to do my absolute best not to ban Hotmail or Gmail, because they're good services that I've used since before MS owned Hotmail and since Gmail was created, respectively, and I know a lot of folks use these services.

Back
Top Bottom