Spot Lacquering and Other Options

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
I'll probably do some spot lacquering on the outer wrap near the bell but it looks pretty good - no crinkles in the bell like some other ones had. If any dents I'll pull out the dent tools and see what I can do.
I'd luv to fix up my Jazzophone as there is some rough lacquer spots on the bell. Should I just get the bell relacquered, just have some spot lacquering done, or do the whole instrument? I wouldn't think it'd cost as much to do this instrument as it would a saxophone.

I'm not a lacquering expert but it depends upon the shade (tinting) of the lacquer being used. Some places will mix it and match the current tint (or somewhat close). But if not then spot lacquering will show different shades, and if not accurate enough it will show a different shade. If not blended well into the other areas it will look like a "new" spot.

It's just like automotive painting. Do you repaint the entire car after an accident or do paint matching .. and then how good is that matching.

If i were to have any real relacquering done I would just ship it to Anderson - which you have experience with before.

I'm just going to use lacquer in a can :)

Keilwerth has seemingly always had lacquer problems. You can also just use some brasso and clean up those spots and it may not be recognizeable. Dont go gunho with it though - a little at a time to see the effects.

If i recall the leadpipe was a different shade than the body .. is that the way it is in person ?

Back
Top Bottom