Starting a band

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
I'm thinking about starting a community big band since I can't find such a group that rehearses one night a week. I've got to think this through a bit more but does anyone have any advice (including don't do it!)? I have a contact at our local park district but they really don't have a concert space.

Just something I'm thinking about doing.

Here's how I start bands having started at least five so far, four still in existence.
1. Select a buddy to partner up with. Don't try to do it alone.

2. Select genre. In this case you've selected Big band. But will it be a classic big band or have a mix of funk, blues and swing?

3. Select a practice venue that can house at least 17 musicians.

4. Create a site for communications. My latest incarnation uses Google Groups. (If you want permissions Ed, ping me.) I store music recordings of our songs, setlists, contact roster, and sub list for example.

5. Pick a ringer for each section (sax, bone, trumpet, and rhythm). I usually try to make the whole rhythm section one of semi-pros.

6. Start building library of music. Borrow to try them out and then purchase as necessary. Some music can be borrowed from the Seattle Public library for example. My new WBB has 58 charts to start the first year with. They are all classic swing charts.

7. Send out notice to music aliases, local newspapers, and through networking for musicians. Make them audition unless you've heard them already.

8. Set up a regular practice schedule, usually a minimum of twice a month if you band mates will support that.

9. Do some free gigs at senior citizen venues, local malls and the like to build confidence.

10. Decide how often you want to gig and start building relationships with gig opportunity types: restaurants, malls, coffee houses, and the like.
Not required by recommended is to get BMI and ASCAP membership. I do this through the Association of Concert Bands for less than $300 a year.

Once you get going you'll want to decide how to do mic'ing and sound. I don't usually use mikes, but most of the big band do. So you'll want a dedicated sound guy if possible.

Okay, what did I forget. Don't make this a democracy; those bands usually fail. Someone buys the music and sets up the band. Listen to the players but don't move on every suggestion or complaint.

Good luck!

Good suggestions. I suspect Terry will have some great advice as well.

You definitely don't want a band by committee! Then everyone starts talking entitlement and that won't work.

You can be a leader and still be fair. It's always good to have a person or two you can lean on more than others for help. There has to be the one person that will make the hard/uncomfortable decisions when the time comes.

...and do waste a thought or two about the legal implications of such an entity. How should or does it work tax-wise? Insurance/liability-wise? I know this has little to do with music, but the proper formal precautions could save your butt some day.
There's some Google Book about such issues.

Back
Top Bottom