Subbing at the Second Story Rep

SuzyJo

Gandalfe's Wife
This Fall I got the opportunity to sub for the first book of 'A Chorus Line'. Talk about a stressor. The instruments were only alto sax and clarinet as some parts had been transposed. But I think that I'll stick to either doing the show or not. Subbing doesn't give you any time to come up to speed. I prefer working with the group through out the running of the show.

Subbing in most of the shows around requires viewing or auditing the show twice. In addition, a copy of the book is provided along with a pit recording made near the player you're subbing for.

I spend a lot of time playing with the recording to get the inflections just right.

I recently subbed on a show with a crucial bassoon entry. The rest of the wind section in front of me had rests, so they decided to stand up and have a look at what was going on onstage. I had to tell them to sit down so I could make my entry. We had a good laugh over it afterwards.

Wow! In the shows I've played, we have half or less of the instrumentation required, need to transpose our own parts if we don't play the instrument (flute for me) and there is a lot of arranging around the parts not covered. But then, I wasn't getting paid very much.

Gandalfe said:
Wow! In the shows I've played, we have half or less of the instrumentation required, need to transpose our own parts if we don't play the instrument (flute for me) and there is a lot of arranging around the parts not covered. But then, I wasn't getting paid very much.

This is in Toronto, in union pits. WC has full orchestra.

Some of the shows around here used reduced instrumentation, but the books are all professionally adapted - the player goes in and plays.

Back
Top Bottom