Survey: Inviting Musician Friend to your Gigs

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
A question I've been meaning to asking the Woodwind faithful, would you be interested in seeing the kind of gigs people on this page perform in? I go to > 20 gigs besides the ~20 I perform in a year. That's almost one a week throughout the year. But still, it might be interesting? Weigh in with your opinion. I get 2 to 3 invites to hear my friends perform a week!

Second question, should we invite our musician friends anymore, or is that just rude? (Note, I love the invites, so don't stop inviting me.)

About everything that I did was at a private paid event (benefit, wedding, what have you). If they were open to the public, I would invite others, and I occasionally got someone to take my lovely wife's place as band boy (plus her share), and perhaps three or four times some of my 'real work' employees would show for the meal and the dancin'.

But, musicians? Nah, they were more interested in making some money than in listening to what they could hear if they were getting paid to play it.

Last edited:
Repost from the Facebook page :p.

> would you be interested in seeing the kind of gigs people on this [website] perform in?
Maybe. Depends on location, price, time, and style of music. If we're talking about recordings, as long as it's high quality, I'll take a look/listen. I don't particularly care for country, rap, ska, some metal, screamo, or bluegrass. Exception for Andrew Bird, on the country/bluegrass front.

> I go to > 20 gigs besides the ~20 I perform in a year.
The last musical thing I went to was a middle school/high school adaptation of Beauty and the Beast a month or two ago. It ... wasn't great. My youngest was in it, so that's a good reason to have gone. I can't exactly remember the last time I saw a pro musician (of whatever kind) in concert.

When I was in college a long time ago, I went to see a performance of some kind almost every night. These were either free or low cost (like $5 and under), but all were pretty high quality -- and I just had to walk across the campus to get there. I don't have the inclination to do an every night thing, but maybe once or so per week.

> Second question, should we invite our musician friends anymore ... ?
I've rarely invited other musicians to hear a group I was in. I think the exceptions have been when I hear that a friend wants to have more places to play/sing at.

I'd like invitations in the form of, "Hey. I'm gonna be at $place with my band at $time. It costs $money. I'd look forward to you coming down, but I understand if you can't afford it or have other committments."

Screamo? Now that's just funny. :)

I suspect that more than 90% of musicians who perform regularly don't really care to be invited to a semi-pro gig. But I'm not hearing that from them so much. Maybe they stopped listening to me a *long* time ago.

Back
Top Bottom