Sweat wearing away key plating?

Hi, I have a Buffet R13 that I bought secondhand about three years ago and was in great condition when I bought it. However, since I've been playing it, mostly in the past year or so, it's been feeling more and more difficult to maneuver. My hands sweat a lot when I play, and this has led to some of the silver plating on the keys and certain parts of the instrument being worn away. This is making the surfaces that my hands touch sticker and not as smooth, and it's starting to affect my playing. My fingers aren't moving as smoothly as they used to, and the clarinet just doesn't feel comfortable to hold as much as it used to. It's a huge source of frustration to me.

Does anyone know anything that I can do about this or have any advice at all? Thank you so much in advance.

Once the plating is gone, it's gone. The only way to fix it is to have it replated, ideally all at once (i.e., strip the old and then replace it). Costly, takes the horn out of commission, and (in the end) only puts you in a position to have to do it again down the road.

Some of us have real problems with plating. In my case, straight up nickel over nickel silver keys come up frosted within a week, and through the plating within a couple of years, no matter how carefully the horn is wiped down subsequent to each playing. Only by going to silver did I manage to break that cycle, and since that time they've stayed unfrosted.

Others have the same problem with silver (as mentioned above). For you, the nickel standard plating may be the better choice.

This is partially a function of your own chemistry, and partially that of environment. I've written elsewhere of how my Yamaha YBS 62 turned color (in part; posts only) when exposed to our chemical-laden Ship Channel atmosphere a few years back. Similarly, an unprotected silver plated horn (one kept without anti-tarnish paper) can go black in a very short time. Not too much you can do in those situations.

As for my skin problems, I wash up before, during breaks in performance, and afterwards, just in case that will help. It costs nothing to do and keeps the skin oil and salt levels down overall.

If you are one with acid or reactive skin, that's about all you can do. I'm quite familiar with barrier creams (having worked for OSHA for just under 40 years) but not one of the many that I tested was suitable for a musician, much less for a clarinet player. Ditto very good latex gloves - they just don't work well enough to suit me.

I did forget gold plate. Gold doesn't react with much, but the alloy metals used with the gold (which is never "pure" gold) still does. On my old Conn horn, once graced with gold plate but now resplendent in silver, there was abrasive wear of the gold plating at the left side of the rear of the horn, but there was also "chemical" wear (i.e., the plating was gone but without any scratches showing contact with an abrasive surface) under where the players' hands had rested next to the right side of the thumb hook. So, even gold (and I would imagine platinum) would not be completely immune.

I agree with Terry. I have a Buffet RC Prestige Bb soprano clarinet that I bought new and have played for over 20 years (but only as a double - main horns are saxophones). Still, the plating looks great. Other silver horns in my battery don't tarnish. So, it must a combination of body-chemistry and location, in my opinion.

I'm wondering if a clear lacquer coating over re-plating (if you choose to re-plate) would help your situation? I know some silver-plated horns are clear-coated (I've owned a couple like that - and my favorite old 1928 Buescher soprano saxophone has an after-market clear-coat over it's original matte-silver-plated finish). Another silver-plated 1928 Buescher soprano in my closet is not lacquered and it isn't as strong as the coated horn. The lacquered horn is the strongest soprano I've ever played and the clear lacquer coat doesn't seem to effect its power. I doubt if a lacquer coat over your keywork would have a negative effect on your clarinet. DAVE

Perhaps you can score a beater clarinet, remove the keys, and have them clear-coated professionally. Perhaps then you can see if they feel acceptable to you. If you know someone who paints cars you're golden.

Awesome, thanks for the replies, it's a huge help. I do try to wash my hands before I play, but a lot of times it's hard to get them completely dry or I just don't have a chance to. Today I got a leather neck strap for my clarinet. Hopefully it'll take some of the weight off of my right hand, reducing the sweat a bit.
A new clarinet altogether isn't really an option since right now I'm just a senior in high school, but hopefully it will be a few years in the future :)

another issue with the Buffet is that more recent ones do have plating issues. Due to concerns at the factory over the caustic problems with nickel plating they apparently changed the "formula" which subsequently causes the nickel plating to wear much quicker than earlier models.

I'm not sure if they fixed the issue or when the plating issue came about either .. but you are not the only one with nickel plating issues on buffet clarinets.

I actually found it interesting that R13's did come with nickel-plated keywork. They still do.

Back
Top Bottom