Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Take Five the public and private lives of Paul Desmond

A gentleman from SOTW lent me that book. It's ... massive.

But it's got a picture of Desmond playing tenor in it. I think I'll use that to scare the Coltrane fans. :p

Desmond had a really funny quote to his father about playing tenor. He felt that the slack jawed embouchure of tenor was going to adversely affect his alto playing. I'm pretty sure the term he used was slack jawed.

Hmmm. Google doesn't have anything. However, his name isn't "Britney Spears", so it's not high on the hit list.

I haven't really read the book. I've browsed it.

It's also interesting that you posted this here, today: I was listening to Time Out and Time Further Out on the way in to work, instead of my heapin' helpin' of The Seatbelts.

The book took me a few days to get through. The main points were that Desmond was a pretty private guy who had his own private demons. Specifically, he liked to drink, smoke, and pop some pills. He also liked women. He liked talking about writing a book but never put the time in to do it. It's an interesting read overall. It's not an overly happy book or one filled with cheer leading in my opinion. The photos are great.

Back
Top Bottom