Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Temporary Fix For Broken Cork?

The cork on one of my clarinet's joints just broke/ripped when I tried to assemble my clarinet. The cork is still hanging on so I decided to leave it for now...
I need temporary fix before I bring it to the store for a cork replacement, is there any possible fixes?
Any help would be great.
Thanks much!

A temporary fix we usually use in band is to wrap some paper around the tenon.

Get a roll of teflon plumbers tape from a hardware store. It will cost only a few cents. A few turns round the damaged cork will keep the instrument functional until you get it permanently repaired and the roll will last for years. It can also be used to bulk up a loose tenon.

Get a roll of teflon plumbers tape from a hardware store. It will cost only a few cents. A few turns round the damaged cork will keep the instrument functional until you get it permanently repaired and the roll will last for years. It can also be used to bulk up a loose tenon.
This is the most common quick fix I've seen or heard about, so it's probably a good one.

Blue masking tape is also a good temporary fix because it leave no adhesive when it is removed. Cut it to the width of the cork and wrap it around the tenon. You can even replace the entire cork this way if needed. Above all, never try to glue the loose cork back down using super glue, gorilla glue, etc. You will just make the proper repair more expensive.

Thanks for all the replies and help.
I think I'll give masking tape a go since I have right at home.

Blue masking tape is also a good temporary fix because it leave no adhesive when it is removed. Cut it to the width of the cork and wrap it around the tenon. You can even replace the entire cork this way if needed. Above all, never try to glue the loose cork back down using super glue, gorilla glue, etc. You will just make the proper repair more expensive.
Painter's tape, really. Masking tape has a different adhesive which can be annoying to remove. Painter's tape might be as annoying, if your "temporary" fix becomes a "permanent" fix :).

I'd just get the cork fixed.

Back
Top Bottom