The Great Woodwind Doubler Census of 2011

bpimentel

Broadway Doubler List Owner
Distinguished Member
I'm running a little survey of woodwind doublers over at my website: http://www.bretpimentel.com/woodwind-doubler-census/

Please stop by and participate if you've got a few minutes. All skill levels welcomed. The survey will stay open at least until the end of the month, and I'll post some results at my site.

Thanks to those of you who have already participated--I've been pleasantly surprised with how many responses are coming in.

Best,
Bret

Be sure to notify this thread when your survey is done.

I started the survey but half way through I realized it was for woodwind doublers.
I think to be one of those you need to play at least flute ,clarinet and several saxes. Flute seems to be the instrument that separates the men from the boys.
I've never been able to play that thing.
I play a bunch of woodwinds professionally including most saxes and all clarinets but flute has kept me out of the "doublers group" (The guys and gals that play shows).

My best double is really piano, but when I do piano gigs it's just piano. I guess that's not really a double then?

Thanks guys--

Bob, for my purposes, anyone who plays woodwinds from two or more of these instrument families counts: flutes, oboes, clarinets, bassoons, saxophones, folk/ethnic woodwinds, electronic wind controllers. I agree that flute is a crucial double for getting gigs, but I'm not putting any limitation like that on the survey.

I'll let you all know when there are some results to share (and yes, I think some charts can be arranged).

It will be interesting to see if you can draw any conclusions from the data. Do more clarinetists double on sax than vice versa? What about flute and oboe, are they played by less than 5% of the population and even less for hobbyist. Some of this is probably obvious. But there could be some surprises.

Back
Top Bottom