Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Theo Wanne tip opening guage

Groovekiller

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
Theo Wanne tip opening gauge

I got a Christmas present a day early. My wife Michelle gave me Theo Wanne's device for measuring mouthpiece tip openings. I have the hippest wife in the world.

There are cheaper ways to measure tip openings, but the device is exceedingly accurate and it can also be used to measure baffle profiles if applied in a scientific manner. It's also on sale:

http://www.theowanne.com//catalog/p...id=65&osCsid=6cbe50c67125fb08d81996f83af4c196

Last edited:
So how many thangs do you have hanging off your belt; music pouch, cell phone pouch, handyman pouch, swiss army knife pouch...;-)

lol

Never use the belt clip. I don't like the way it was designed being placed in the middle of the pouch as oppossed to along the top. It tends to fly outwards away from the belt. Makes it too easy to knock off your side when you're reachin' for your gun ;-)

I wouldn't mind having that tip opening gauge......and I gotta birthday comin up.

"oh, honey...."

(snicker)

That is a rather nice design.

It looks like it is a bit easier to use and operate than what I use. Although I'm used to my set up and it only takes a little more dexterity than what Theo came up with.

Doesn't anyone use a tip wand?

Doesn't anyone use a tip wand?

I used a wand for a long time. When I double checked tip openings with a feeler gauge my wand was consistently off. I learned to factor in the error, but I still used feeler gauges to measure tips wherever possible. Theo's device is much easier.

I never liked the tip wand much and have used my Starrett (and a couple of clones) for as long as I've been working on mouthpieces. Theo's solution looks to be quite nice and if I were looking to make a change I would purchase his gauge.

Magic Wand

I've always used a tip wand and (as noted previously) have gotten used to it's consistent inaccuracy. I like Theo's gauge design concept and am probably going to break down and get one soon. I've not purchased any of his products before, though he did send me a few Ammas for a sneak preview and play-test. He's hired quite the machine shop!

Being able to measure baffle shapes may come in handy for high baffle pieces, though it seems that the device would measure only down the middle of the piece. Ponzol baffles dip in the center, as an example, so the baffle measurement wouldn't relate the same to a piece with a very flat baffle like a Guardala.

Anyone care to comment on this?

Groovekiller - you DO have a very hip wife!

I know this will sound strange...but...I've never measured a tip. I just go by what I'm told, and how it feels.

I went from a (alto) Meyer 5 (1973) to a slant sig 6*. I know now that the link is much more open, but I didn't know when I got it after my meyer's tip got broken just before I was to play Harlem Nocturne with a community band. I just knew I had to make it work.

I even used the same blue box 3's that I was using on the Meyer...

I went from a (alto) Meyer 5 (1973) to a slant sig 6*. I know now that the link is much more open, but I didn't know when I got it after my meyer's tip got broken just before I was to play Harlem Nocturne with a community band.
I've never broken a mouthpiece before. How'd it happen? My grandson broke the tip of his alto piece during his first two years on the instrument. He said he dropped it.

Back
Top Bottom