Unknown symbol

Can anyone tell me what that symbol is between C and B? I can't find it anywhere. I thought it was a rest; however, it does not have a value.

Attachments

• Unknown Musical Symbol.jpg
    Unknown Musical Symbol.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 152
context would help - composer, style, more of the excerpt...

Here you go. I don't know who arranged it.

Attachments

• Autumn_Leaves_Question.pdf
    47.1 KB · Views: 196
My guess - and it is a guess - is to add a little space between the notes. Shortening the previous note, but not short enough to give it a value of shortening. A bit like // between notes.

Like I said, it's a guess.

If anyone knows for sure I'm curious too.

My first thought was a bend, but on further examination of the bigger excerpt it could be almost anything.

I assumed tenpo was a typo, but it might be a clue - "Tenpō was a Japanese era name after Bunsei and before Kōka. The period spanned from December 1830 through December 1844." So it could be some type of ornament.

There is so much stuff not standard in this I'm thinking it is some shorthand used by the "arranger" and intended for personal use and not for publication.

We have a nice set of symbols for our musical language. I'm not opposed to adding new ones, but if there is already a symbol in place for something, there is no need to add another for the same ornament (or whatever).

Of course, like the rest of us, I don't know if this is the case or not.

And what about the Marcato combined with Staccato? There is a difference between the two, how does one combine them? Or does that symbol mean something else I'm not aware of?

If I were to play that chart, I'd interpret it in my own way. If I was in an ensemble, I'd let whoever is playing the melody line interpret it and expect the others to respect that.

Insights and incites by Notes

While we are in here, could someone explain L.K. and U.K to me?

Back
Top Bottom