Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Vintage Noblet Oboe

Many years ago when I played oboe seriously as a kind/teen, I was given what was even 20 years ago a gorgeous vintage Noblet oboe. It hasn't been played in at least 40 years, but I bought a reed just to see if it even could produce a tone, and sure enough I was able to produce a few.

I cannot find much out about this instrument. It is made of grenadilla wood (or a very very dark rosewood), and appears to be the professional style instrument with additional keys. Rough estimate to fully restore have been about $600. I will try and post up a few pictures this week, but from my online searching, I've only found images that match the case (red lining), but not much about the instrument at all. It really is a lovely looking instrument. Other than the pads and springs needing obvious replacement, the keywork is actually in decent shape.

I haven't played an oboe in many years, but I would like to play again, especially if it makes sense to restore this instrument into playing condition.

Welcome to the Woodwind Forum JSanta. If you really want an assessment of your instrument, please take the time to review these guidelines. This will provide us some grist for our mills.

Thank you! I've been reading your blog via Sax on the Web. I'm just trying to get a bit more info on it (not looking to sell or trade it), but I will get pictures posted soon.

Thank you! I've been reading your blog via Sax on the Web. I'm just trying to get a bit more info on it (not looking to sell or trade it), but I will get pictures posted soon.

Peter Hurd at oboes.us--the expert's expert--says to avoid LeBlanc oboes, including the Noblet student line. I would trust him. On the other hand, if it is just for futzing around and is full conservatory, you could not get a functioning instrument for $600.

Peter Hurd at oboes.us--the expert's expert--says to avoid LeBlanc oboes, including the Noblet student line. I would trust him. On the other hand, if it is just for futzing around and is full conservatory, you could not get a functioning instrument for $600.

I have read there as well. Considering the instrument is at least 40 years old, it doesn't phase me much in terms of trying to find something I could use in an orchestra. The only similar instrument I've been able to find online is actually on ebay right now. Same exact red lined leather case and instrument (I can't link the auction from work), but he's asking $2k for it. I was going to take it in to get setup this past weekend, but instead I am going to be buying a new furnace. The person doing the work on it said he'd do some research for me and give me some details when we do the work.

Back
Top Bottom