Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Wanted Buescher Soprano Mouthpiece

jbtsax

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
I am restoring a Buescher curvie and would like to play it with the original mouthpiece to compare the intonation with that of newer mouthpieces. If anyone has one lying around, give me a price. Thanks.

Standard comment: get a Sigurd Rascher mouthpiece. It looks like the original mp and Rascher used to be the big advertiser for Buescher.

Standard comment: get a Sigurd Rascher mouthpiece. It looks like the original mp and Rascher used to be the big advertiser for Buescher.

Certainly a good choice, but the Rascher piece actually has an even larger chamber than the Buescher pieces. Tip opening specs are different too (larger!)

Certainly a good choice, but the Rascher piece actually has an even larger chamber than the Buescher pieces. Tip opening specs are different too (larger!)

Thanks for the comments Pete and Merlin. I have heard that the larger chamber mouthpieces are a better match for the taper of the Buescher necks and therefore produce better intonation in the upper register. Any thoughts on this?

Talk to MOJO. I had some intonation issues with an older stencil and his suggestion did the trick.

Thanks for the comments Pete and Merlin. I have heard that the larger chamber mouthpieces are a better match for the taper of the Buescher necks and therefore produce better intonation in the upper register. Any thoughts on this?

I found the Otto Link Tone Edge soprano piece to be an ideal match for a curved Buescher soprano - very even intonation throughout, and great sound/response. They are affordable too ($75.00).

The Rascher is $105. That is a bit pricey, I'll grant. (All proceeds got to music education, so that could be a plus, too.)

I think I've held a Buescher soprano. Once. That was about it. I have used the Rascher on a gold-plated True-Tone bari and felt that the bari was probably the second best sounding horn I've ever played.

The alto True-Tones (don't know about tenors) had a variety of different necks, depending on how old the horn is. That really shouldn't apply to higher or lower horns, but it obviously can color people's comments.

So, I think you've got a few alternatives:

* Ask someone that owns one of these what his favorite mouthpiece is and see if it works for you
* Get an Otto-Link
* Get a Rascher
* Find a mouthpiece on eBay

Anyhow, you might be interested in another mouthpiece that's around the same age as your horn. For instance, the Goldbeck metal mouthpieces are relatively common on eBay and they were approximately contemporary. Hey, even Conn Eagle mouthpieces from around that time looked pretty simular to the original Buescher mouthpiece.

Good luck. We're all counting on you.

Back
Top Bottom