Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Warm Up Book to Improve Tone and faster playing?

Let me go to my studio and pull out my Klose book. I'll come up with some ideas for #'s 1 & 2 for you. I don't remember them precisely ATM. I'll come up with a recommended speed for you, as well other pointers.

One of the things about practice is that you need to practice the right way. It does you no good to practice playing something the wrong way for 2 hours. This goes along with Helen's points regarding tone, articulation, etc.

As far as tempo is concerned, what you should be striving for is an even tempo. I'd rather you play something slow that has everything else correct than play as fast as possible and slaughter the the music.

OK, so I pulled out my H. Klose book, and I compared it to the Scribd. version that I found, which is I believe the one you now have. I noticed some major differences.

The copy I have is the French version published by Alphonse Leduc, Paris, copyright 1954. All the pieces have more information in my version, and not only that, there are some differences in the music as well (time signatures, trills, accents, staccato marks, etc). Even some of the notes are put in different octaves (saves on ledger lines that way). Interesting. Perhaps the new publishers were saving on the ink. ;-)

Let's just talk about #'s 1&2, OK? First up, originally they are not in cut time. Both are in 4/4 time, with tempo of :Space3: =120. What is missing are the breath marks. Let me think about how best to get these to you, but in the meantime, the tempo should give you something to work towards.

+1 on all of the above, but...just to make things interesting...

As a beginner, but late bloomer, I've fallen in love with these two books:

Melodious and Progressive Studies, Vol 1, S
elected and Edited by David Hite (Southern Music Company:San Antonio, TX)
Progressive and Varied Etudes for Saxophone, by [edited] Harry Gee (Southern Music Company:San Antonio, TX)

The first one, I believe was originally intended for the oboe, although it was very carefully edited by Mr. Hite.

Just a thought!

Back
Top Bottom