Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

WF New People Introductions

Re: WF New People Introductions ('08)

Hi Steve, Hi Merlin, Hi L?o, cmelodysax (and all you thread-hijackers) Nice to see you :)

Good to see some new faces.

Welcome!

kcp said:
Hi Steve, Hi Merlin, Hi L?o, cmelodysax (and all you thread-hijackers) Nice to see you :)
Kim, I luv you avatar! I wish more people used their face on their av's because I might recognize them in the future as I travel. I've run into a number of SOTW forum people who I only knew from the forum. Most of them recognized me before I did them. Some of them were auditioning for the same gig I was! :D

Gandalfe said:
kcp said:
Kim, I luv you avatar! I wish more people used their face on their av's because I might recognize them in the future as I travel. I've run into a number of SOTW forum people who I only knew from the forum. Most of them recognized me before I did them. Some of them were auditioning for the same gig I was! :D
You're saying that I don't look like Gerry Mulligan?

One of these days I'll find a photo that I like of myself and post it. I much rather take a photo than have one taken of me.

FWIW, I look a lot like Ed's Gerry Mulligan avatar. Seriously.

I'm 150 x 150px and ...

No. Really. I've had other people comment that some of those b/w Mulligan pics look an awful lot like me. However, when you get good closeup shots, we look completely dissimilar.

I use the broccoli avatar Kim designed for me because it's traditional.

Don't worry about me auditioning for your gigs, Gandalfe :).

Hi everyone. I thought I'd touch base and say "hello".

Some of you know me, but for those of you that don't, I play sax exclusively now...Although in the past I did play bass clarient & bassoon. I play soprano, alto, tenor, baritone, and bass saxophones. My main love is R&B, but I currently play in a blues band and front my own jazz ensemble (although because of some neurological issues that developed in Nov '06, I'm pretty limited with what I'm able to do). I'm getting better, so I hope to get back to my usual crazy music schedule before long.

Over the past few years my website has inadvertantly become one of the main sources of information on the Net of some of the more obscure brands of horns like LaMonte, Huttl, and to a lesser extent, Pierret.

Anyways, that's enough for now. I just wanted to say hello & that I look forward to being involved with this new woodwind community.

Regards, Helen :D

Helen,

Good to see you. Are you still playing on the Bass Sax prototype mouthpieces you helped me with?

Ed

Helen, you do know that your bass sax story spurred my husband (Gandalfe) to buy one (Buescher) and then another (Eppelsheim) bass sax don't you! :emoji_astonished:

Welcome to the Woodwind Forum.

Hi there Ed. Yes, those bass M/Ps have become the ones I use all the time when I play. They are way more free-blowing than the one I got from Paul. I also prefer them to the Bundy bass M/P that I have. (I believe it was the "original" one that Paul found in the case when the horn was rediscovered at the middle school.) You're onto something. Have you made the "refined" pieces available yet? With the growing interest in bass saxes, most notably the new Asian horns on the market, you could fill a niche market.

Yes Gandalfe, that would be fun. My poor old Buescher would feel very insecure though...Seriously, we should try and get together this spring or summer. That would give me a bit more time to improve, and actually play my bass again. The last time it was out of it's case was 11/06. Do you still have your Buescher? Or did you end up selling it?

SuzyJo...Guilty as charged. :emoji_rage: It is a sickness we suffer from. My apologies to your family for any afflictions I may have brought into your home. On the other hand, we seem to be a fairly harmless bunch, despite our illness. :emoji_smile:

I do sell them now although I have made some changes to how I want to do business. I have also started to sell the occasional large chamber conversion piece.

I almost had a bass sax a few weeks ago but I couldn't convince the seller to end the auction early and to sell to me. It was a local horn and they really didn't want to ship it. The funny thing is that it sold for way more than it was worth as it was a dog with fleas that needed a lot of work to bring it back to life. It was also missing the neck so a call to Karsten would have been in order. I figure the guy who bought it overpaid by about $1000. That's the advantage of looking at it in the flesh.

Ed Svoboda said:
I figure the guy who bought it overpaid by about $1000. That's the advantage of looking at it in the flesh.
Hmm... maybe you'll see it on eBay again.

Helen, anytime you're planning a trip to Seattle, give me a heads up. There are a lot of cool sax players you'll want to meet up with. :ugeek:

Gandalfe said:
Ed Svoboda said:
I figure the guy who bought it overpaid by about $1000. That's the advantage of looking at it in the flesh.
Hmm... maybe you'll see it on eBay again.

I'm sure I will. I'm pretty sure I know who bought it.

Re: The Official Unofficial Get to Know the Staff Thread!

Hi, I'm Eddie Rich and I'm on SOTW under the same handle as here. I am about to finish a contract at the Venetian Macao as a flautist. After that, I'll go home to Las Vegas and try to get back into subbing shows there.

I have a degree in saxophone performance from Ball State University where I studied saxophone with George Wolfe and Adrien Re and clarinet with Caroline Hartig. Since then, I have taken up the flute and studied with Tina Hadley in Las Vegas.

I have a real passion for woodwind playing and feel that I am making a transition from being a saxophonist who plays doubles when I have to, to being a woodwind player.

I'm really glad to see a forum that is focused on woodwind playing and I look forward to learning and sharing with everyone. :D

Re: The Official Unofficial Get to Know the Staff Thread!

Eddie,

Great to have you on board and welcome!

Great site Gandalfe!

I also see familar faces from the SOTW and Woodwind.org forums.

By way of a quick introduction I LOVE doubling and enjoy playing a wide range of musical styles. My primary doubles are tenor saxophone, clarinet, bass clarinet, flute, and alto flute. I'm a big fan of vintage horns. My tenor is a treasured 1934 Buescher New Aristocrat and my soprano clarinets are Couesnon. My primary Couesnon was made in the 70's and my back up is from 1960 (I was able to nail down its serial number to a production year). I'm also a composer.

Warm Regards to you all!

Roger

Hi, Roger! Nice to see that you came on over for a visit!

Roger! Welcome.

I'm still using your quotes from all over the Internet for my students. Here's hoping that this woodwind resource becomes interesting enough for you to post here too! The infrastructure is almost in place thanks to Ed and Pete's careful administrations. And Ed (Hurling Frootmig on the SOTW) just upgraded the hardware and service package. So most of the dust from this new construction is just starting to settle.

Back
Top Bottom