WF New People Introductions

Cute, Toby, cute. :p

Thanks for that, although I could have changed your username for you.

Enjoy the cookies! They're in your browser.

ok... now that that's out of the way.

So yeah, I was looking for a subforum for performance/music/jazz or whatever. I'm not sure how such a thing would be organized but sure... the old standards study method. I was recently looking for as many versions of Besame Mucho as I could get my hands on.

I rather liked the old deal where people would play a standard and we'd get to hear each other do it. That would be as cool as hearing a half dozen standards done by pros. I think another forum did that kind of stuff.

So yeah..

Shoot me a PM with any suggestions you have and we'll see what we can do.

Ed

Or just start a thread in General Discussion. Based on Jim's comment about the mandolins, I'd assume it cuts across multiple instruments.

Interesting idea. Corrupting the words of a talk show host out here, "Thanks for making the Forum better."

Toby said:
I rather liked the old deal where people would play a standard and we'd get to hear each other do it. That would be as cool as hearing a half dozen standards done by pros. I think another forum did that kind of stuff.

So yeah..

Cool idea, but who said that I was a pro? ;)

There has been another cool trend going on in discussion forums lately. It seems that everyone has recording software of some type and obviously e-mail access. So musicians in discussion forums have been putting together "forum recordings". Meaning that a song is chosen and a track is laid down by one party. They then send it off to the next person who lays down the next track, and so on and so on. I've heard some pretty cool recordings by doing this. It's kind of like a forum comunity project.

Hi all,

Ed invited me to have a look and so here I am. Nice to have a new place in which to generate controversy ;-)

This is the first forum for me in which there is another Toby, so I guess I will have to sign myself as Toby2.

Quick intro: I started playing the violin at 6 but being left-handed I kept wanting to bow with my dominant hand. This led to a conversion to clarinet at 7, on to oboe at 13, and branching out to flute and alto sax at 19. One thing led to another, and I now have a veritable menagerie of instruments (including a five-string banjo, piano, keyboards, ukuleles and guitars, as well as a hammered dulcimer, before even mentioning the winds). As I have been in Asia for the past 22 years, I have been picking up Asian winds (up to and including Philippine Ifugao nose flutes). I am fairly serious about South American quenas and Japanese shakuhachis, which I have also been making on and off for more than 10 years. I have rummaged through the Japanese flea markets and kept my eyes open in the antique stores and now have a super collection of excellent shaks, which unfortunately I hardly play.

On the side of Western winds, I have a bunch of flutes, ranging from pic to bass flute, a reliable old R-13 clarinet, sop, alto, tenor and CMel saxes. And not much time to play them these days.

In the past I was sorta semi-professional; played in various orchestras and bands and pits and for shows and some recording here and there, but these days my day job is as a news and documentary cameraman and video editor, presently working for German TV in Japan and China.

Enough. Let the fun begin!

Toby2

Beanie beanie chili beanie.
The spirits are about to speak.
Are they friendly spirits?

Hi everybody. Sure they're friendly spirits! Thanks for pulling me over here, Ed. I'm sideC but my wife calls me Julian. I work as a full time saxophone player. I'm from the Philly, South Jersey area, but now live and work around NYC. My primary horn is the alto, but I still play the other saxophones. My first horn was a school baritone back in '62. My first professional job was near the end of the '60s, and I've been gigging ever since. Still trying to get it right. :D I see a lot of familiar faces here, and some cool new faces, so I'm sure it's going to be a lot of fun. :D

kymarto,

Thanks for taking the time to come and visit us. Great to have you and Julian on board.

Ed

Hi folks- My name is Mike and play sop,alto,tenor,flute.I have been in several area R&R bands, the current one for 25 years, as lead singer and fitting in winds where possible. Used to play four or five nights a week when times were good and hold down a day job but jobs for us have dried up and laff,laff am much older. I have more time for sax now and my jazz taste has expanded.I recognize many of you from years of past posts and am pleased to be here. :D

For those of you enjoy faces, especially you youngsters, I just thought I'd throw in my old face to show you what 30+ years of college teaching and/or dissipation can do a person (please don't begrudge an old man a little sax :emoji_rolling_eyes: ) ...

My name's Dick Lane. I retired from active professoring (archaeology, at St. Cloud State University) in 1999 and have since returned to my former first love ? playing music. My aged body parts, or lack thereof, precluded my playing the horns I'd started out on in 1940s grade school ? fewer teeth, limited arm movement, etc and etc. ? so my choices were pretty much limited to single or double reeds. I visited a local music store in early 2000 to look into renting something I could try out. I thought I'd probably get either an oboe or clarinet for a couple of months to start with and then decide. But there was an absolutely beautiful Antigua Winds straight soprano on display that just sang my name ( :D Dickie, Dickie ... buy me ...). I bought it on the spot (but still have occasional oboe envy)!

Since then ... SOTW, much good info, lots of pointers, a few more horns, lots of books, mouthpieces and reeds, a clarinet ? and, finally, taking advantage of a Minnesota law, allowing residents over 62 to audit (tuition free) courses at any of our state colleges or universities, I signed on as a music student at my old school some three years ago and have achieved (roughly) the exalted status of 5th semester performance major!

I've gained so much from all you folks at SOTW that I figured I'd follow along to the Woodwindforum and see what I might be missing out on. Thanks for having me!!

Great to have you here.

I wish more states would open up their courses to retired folks. Granted I've got a long way until I could take advantage of such a benefit but still.

Howdy, folks!

Just dropped by and saw that there are a bunch of new faces. Nice to see.

I'm gonna be scarce for the next little bit. I've got some college classes to attend to -- and I'm a LOT older than the first time I went to college ....

Wow, I recognize so many of you; thanks for checking us out.

Saxagenarian, being from Minnesota (Edina High and Mankato State) your Minnesota hat in your avatar just made me laugh. Saxphil, a pro eh? I bet you have a lot of stories to tell. Kymarto, back when I was first starting to read these kind of forums, I used to think you *were* the other Toby.

Welcome everyone!

My ear was itching, did someone mention my name? :emoji_smile:

I confess I couldn't remember emailing you SA80, but then I'm getting a little senile these days, so I went with it anyway. ;)

Hey Folks,

Rory from Halifax, Nova Scotia here. I've been a regular over at SotW for the past two years. Ed invited me to have a look and this looks like a great forum.

I love all sorts of jazz and blues music, but especially horn drenched blues music in the Texas and West Coast traditions. Among my favorite tenor players I'd list Arnett Cobb, Charlie Rouse, Maxwell Davis, and Julian Dash.

I've been playing sax for about ten years, about 8 of which were pretty much wasted playing alto with virtually no idea what I was doing. I switched to tenor about two years ago, and I'm trying to teach myself how to be a halfway decent player. I'm also really into the idea of classic American saxophones. I'm playing a Martin tenor that I got from Matt Stohrer in New York (a major GAS attack late last year has left me in possesion of a JK Bundy Special alto and tenor pair, but they may have to go).

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to chatting. My main interests chat-wise are: music history, brand-name players (old school), practicing tips, gear, music-related social issues.

Cheers,

Rory

Great to see you Rory.

I'm still really enjoying the Super Action 80 alto. Had a bunch of pearls replaced so I can wear them to my hands. How's the Morgan treating you?

Back
Top Bottom