Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

What did you practice today?

If by bass you mean the sax version, I'd transpose the line to Eb and play on bari sax. Next. ;)
Easier: Bari sax. Transpose to bass clef. Throw three sharps in the key sig. Play as written. i.e.:

Written note: :BassClef::Space1: ... an A
Transposed note: :TrebleClef::Space1: ... an F# (sorry; I haven't made sharp note heads)

And the key sig goes from C to A.

Yeah, but then you have to worry about double # and a flatted sharp. Been there, done that (mostly in pits). It's no fun.
I had done that so long that it became natural for me.

If by bass you mean the sax version, I'd transpose the line to Eb and play on bari sax. Next. ;)
Nope, bass clarinet. Altissimo requires some funny fingerings to stay halfway in tune. I'm contemplating playing the whole shebang an octave lower.

Really, the altissimo notes called for are easy enough that even I can play them on sop, alto, or bass clarinet. Just hafta remember the right-hand pinkie. Love those notes as they speak really nicely on my clarinets. Go any higher and it can get dicey. I'm just sayin'...

Really, the altissimo notes called for are easy enough that even I can play them on sop, alto, or bass clarinet. Just hafta remember the right-hand pinkie. Love those notes as they speak really nicely on my clarinets. Go any higher and it can get dicey. I'm just sayin'...
They work fine on soprano and alto, but the bass is a bit capricious...at leat at the intended tempo. I must have a leak somewhere...

Yeah, but then you have to worry about double # and a flatted sharp. Been there, done that (mostly in pits). It's no fun.

I had done that so long that it became natural for me.
Yes, the appropriate response to bad puns is to ignore them :p.

* First, as many of y'all know I played mainly baritone saxophone and I took lessons from a Rascher student, as well as a student of that student. One of the things I had to play in my college lessons was Rascher's 24 Intermezzi. It has key signatures with double sharps. I'm just glad it was in treble clef so I didn't have to transpose.

* I played and conducted in a variety of church bands/orchestras/ensembles. I played bari and alto off of lead sheets, so I really am used to tossing in sharps. Hey, the tenor vocal part sounds pretty decent on alto, too, especially if you blend well.

* The biggest, baddest piece I played in competitions and to get into music school (I didn't succeed at that, but still took lessons from the prof) is Bach's Cello Suite #4. At one point, I tracked down an original copy of the Bach manuscript and played off that. Again, more bass clef music for the bari sax.

Speaking of clefs, though, the folks that we should have the most sympathy for are the bassoonists: they have to know treble, bass, and tenor clef -- and "tenor clef" can also be movable ....

What did I practice?

I am having a really hard time characterizing what I practiced on Saturday. I practiced various intervals, and weird combinations with intervals.

actually was sight reading Weber Concertino op 26.

yeah i know it's normal literature for clarinet players in college et all but this is actually the first time i've really tried playing the thing and i only got the music in the last couple of months.

The usual routine on the clarinet. To warm up, scales, arpeggios, articulation, and then the music. It's an arpeggio-filled solo transferred from guitar to Clarinet. I'm getting there...
I also practiced:
Cooking
Showering
Complaining
Coping with a bummed leg...

The Venus does not look friendly!

I would rewrite that in Eb maj key and make it easier on the eyes...

Chris

Yes, there should be some software that transposes any given piece into a key with the least amount of accidentals required. :)

(I had to do this for a Naoya Wada piece that had a key change in the middle and the arranger couldn't be arsed to clean up the resulting mess of Bbb or F## notes)

Back
Top Bottom