Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

What is your alto setup?

My alto setup is:

Selmer SA80 II with
Morgan Excalibur 7E, FL lig., and Vandoren ZZ 3 reeds or
Vandoren AL4, FL lig., Vandoren 2 1/2 reeds.

1981-ish Selmer Omega, Lacquer. My wife's horn, really.
-> Selmer C* Hard Rubber (occasionally), stock lig.
-> Sigurd Rascher Hard Rubber (usually), stock lig. Yes, I played lots of classical.

My favorite reeds have been long discontinued: Vandoren Modele Jazz. I generally try to get Java 3.5.

1960 Selmer Mark VI
Chicago Mouthpieces R Series prototype mouthpiece with a standard metal lig or Selmer Short Shank Soloist with a Selmer metal lig
Hemke 3 or 3 1/2 reeds depending on how much I'm playing

I can play classical or jazz with this setup. I prefer a slightly darker setup than most people I know but not as dark as you would find from a Rascher.

We can do the mouthpiece thing in another thread, but I use the Rascher because of my teachers -- Rascher students :). I like the Martin mouthpiece that was included with the Handcrafts. It's similar to the Rascher, but it's a bit easier to play.

I have 2 altos that I currently use. (Much like my too many tenors, I have too many altos that also need tweaking or restoration.)

My Mark VI is what I use for rock & r&b. My 6M is my jazz horn. My setups are therefore somewhat different.

See my sig area. The reeds are blue box. Lig is Rovner Dark. I also have a S80 C* that came with the VII 30+ years ago, that until just a year ago was my only mpc. The Meyer is good for almost everything. If I would need a more classical sound, I would probably go with a C** or a D.

1945 Conn 6M-VIII in silver plate with gold wash bell
R. Caravan mouthpiece (either large chamber or "pre-large/medium option" chambered piece, gifted to me in the late 90's)
Rovner Light lig (supposedly the preferred piece for the Caravans)
Rico Select Jazz 3M, but being converted to Gonzalez 3.5/3.75 (shaved)

Oh... I play mostly classical, studying with a french school teacher... needless to say, she's wanting me to "broaden" my gear choices to something that starts with an S!

**BRENT**

MexicanDragon said:
R. Caravan mouthpiece (either large chamber or "pre-large/medium option" chambered piece, gifted to me in the late 90's)

Oh... I play mostly classical, studying with a french school teacher... needless to say, she's wanting me to "broaden" my gear choices to something that starts with an S!

**BRENT**
Yup: a Sigurd Rascher mouthpiece :).

Grassi Pro 2000 Alto
Morgan 3C
FF Tensing Ring Lig (that's new)
Hemke 3.5 reeds

Thinking about switching to a Buffet, but I'm not sure yet...

MexicanDragon said:

**BRENT**

Well, that's understandable She wants you to play in a style in which she knows how to teach you...

J.Max said:
Grassi Pro 2000 Alto
Morgan 3C
FF Tensing Ring Lig (that's new)
Hemke 3.5 reeds

Thinking about switching to a Buffet, but I'm not sure yet...

Which Buffet?

pete said:
MexicanDragon said:

**BRENT**

Heh... riiiiiiiight. Just what I had in mind! At least I don't play a Buescher!

I think her university students are gravitating towards the Larry Teal mouthpieces. I'm pretty happy with my Caravan... I'll probably start looking for a jazz piece next.

J.Max said:
Well, that's understandable She wants you to play in a style in which she knows how to teach you...

I'll pick up on the style... and I have my own thoughts on some things as well. Up until recently, however, I haven't even give much thought into (drastically) changing my equipment. I have a feeling one day I'll have a Ref 54 in my stable.

**BRENT**

Brent,

For a jazz piece check out all of the Meyer and vintage Meyer clones.

Runyon Custom
Meyer 5M/6M/7M
Meyer G 5M/6M/7M
Morgan 5M/6M/7M
Vandoren V16 A5M/A6M/A7M
Jody Jazz 5M/6M/7M

I like the Morgan's best followed by the Jody Jazz followed by the Runyon's followed by the Meyer G's. Although I have a killer 1980's Meyer 7M at the house that I'm holding on to that I picked up in a horn deal.

1923 Conn New Wonder

My mouthpiece of choice is an Otto Link STM 6*, though lately I've been having fun with a Yamaha 4C of all things. Rico Jazz Select alto reeds, or Rico Royal tenor reeds when I need to emphasise the low end.

MexicanDragon said:
pete said:
MexicanDragon said:

**BRENT**

Heh... riiiiiiiight. Just what I had in mind! At least I don't play a Buescher!

I think her university students are gravitating towards the Larry Teal mouthpieces. I'm pretty happy with my Caravan... I'll probably start looking for a jazz piece next.
I've heard of the Caravan and I've used a Selmer LT mouthpiece, in the distant past. In the case of the former, I heard that it was "decent" for classical. In the case of the latter, if the mouthpiece you're looking at is a Selmer LT, it might behave a little ... oddly on some horns. Worked GREAT on my Buffet Dynaction. Worked so-so on a Mark VI.

I'm still playing my Jupiter Artist model alto, even though they've come out with a few new flagship altos.

Most of the time I'm using a Jody Jazz HR* 6 with Vandoren #3 ZZ reeds and a Vandoren Optimum lig.

For classical/concert band work I've used a Vandoren A20, Caravan medium chamber, and a Hawkins Sinta model in the past year.

Back
Top Bottom