Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

What is your Flute setup

Steve

Clarinet CE/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
I own an old W.T. Armstrong model 90 flute. It has offset G/A keys, solid silver headjoint, body and silverplated foot.

I used to own a Model 303OB too which is open hole and B foot and inline G/A I had the hardest time on that flute because of the inline G .. my finger just would not stretch. I could have used plugs but I had the 90 (closed hole) and just sold off the 303. The 303 had a solid silver headjoint i believe,the rest was silver plated.

Emmerson with a solid silver headjoint (I believe). Nothing too fancy but it was a great buy and a nice playing flute. Or so I am told by those who can actually play the flute. :emoji_smile:

Yamaha 481 solid silver body and foot, plated keywork with a Drelinger silver wingstyle headjoint.

Open hole, inline G (which I have plugged). The Drelinger headjoint has made a huge difference in my flute playing. It's got much better projection and response than the Yamaha headjoint (pre-EC) that came with the flute.

My flute is a Yamaha 26 (earlier version of the 261 open tone hole student model) that I got on ebay for cheap. My repair tech did a wonderful job on it. It looks and plays like a brand new flute. Due to physical problems playing a flute, I use an after-market Yamaha curved head joint. This set up works beautifully for me.

For $300 each Suzy and I picked up brand new Gemeinhardt 3SHBs. For as far as we've progressed, they are fine. But a number of flautists in our community band lust after these. Pro's tend to scoff at them as overpriced for what you get.

OK, here we go:

My main flute is an Almeida handmade with a Powell Cooper-style head. I also have the Almeida head and the Powell body but the former is the combo I prefer. I also have a handmade, plated A.R. Hammig flute which I use when I am living away from home in China. I just bought a student Yamaha for $20 (couldn't resist) which plays well, but I don't like the nickel plating and the relatively poor keywork. Some time ago I was also given a student Artley which I believe is a better player than the Yamaha but with even worse keywork.

I have a Philipp Hammig pic, a Moenning Bros. alto flute and a Rudall, Carte bass flute. In addition I was fortunate to find a real museum piece--a so-called "Okuralo", which is a normal flute body (but with open G#) married to a shakuhachi-type head. These were made around the turn of the last century in Japan when there was a movement to modernize Japan and marry Japanese and Western technologies and culutres. Probably not more than a few dozen exist.

Speaking of shakuhachis, I have been picking up good ones in Japan for more than 20 years and now have a bunch of really excellent concert instruments in various sizes. I also have been picking up various ethnic instruments in my Asian travels, including ifugao nose flutes from the Philippines..

Now if only I could find a bit more time to play >:-/

Toby

Altus 907

Solid silver headjoint, silver plated body
Off set, G
B foot.

:eek:)

Yamaha 881. This is Yamaha's solidsilver, handmade soldered tone hole flute. In line G, split E, B foot. Yamaha CY headjoint. Looking for an EC headjoint.

Given enough time and looking around something better will fall in your lap.

Gemeinhardt KG Special; open hole, inline G, C foot. Solid silver headjoint and body with silverplated keys. I dont care for the headjoint, though, so I use a Yamaha CY headjoint. Plays beautiful for what I payed.

I have a Gemeinhardt 33SSBO - solid silver headjoint, body, and keys. Open hole, Offset G, B foot joint

I have currently updated my flute set up... I got rid of the Yamaha head joint, and got a Miyazawa head joint, and love it to death :D

Back
Top Bottom