What mouthpiece sounds close to this?

I own all the Yamaha, Fobes, Hite and Behn pieces. The easiest ones are the Fobes, the Hite and the Behn (in that order, but they are very very close), and the jazziest is the Hite. I suggest you get the Fobes or the Hite. Now toss a coin. :)

hmm I'll think about which one I'll take lol

now with the reeds I read up that there are syntethic reed which doesn't need any wetting. Are they better,worse,harder to blow?

location would really help us help you out... and I don't recommend synthetics until the player figures out what strength reed he needs. Cane reeds blow out fast enough that you can adjust on the fly

location would really help us help you out... and I don't recommend synthetics until the player figures out what strength reed he needs. Cane reeds blow out fast enough that you can adjust on the fly

I live on the gulfcoast. I move around alot for college, but you find me mostly in New Orleans most of my time off. I know there is a few places I can go but most places are so stuck up they only help those with good brand sax or their own. I got a low brand and they always say it takes alot of time and I would schedule appointments to see them and they want anywhere from 65-100, 1 and half hr up to 2 hours. And its a class type, meaning they don't jump right into a good embouchure, they start at the very begging. They say its high because with my low brand model and piece it would take alot of work to train me properly unless I buy their products which doesn't make alot of sense. (alot of scammers) I was like wow thats a no go, I have a better chance finding a sax player at college and hang out with them lol.

ah, thanks for that info on synth reed. yea I notice they have soft,med and hard.

Moving thread to the appropriate forum.

I think a summary is in good order:

* If you want to sound like $player, you need to listen to $player as much as possible. Study his techniques.
* If you're a beginner, you WON'T sound like $player, regardless of which mouthpiece, reed, ligature, neck, or horn you have. Sounding even close to $player will take a lot of work. Start with the fundamentals and work your way up!
* Particular make/model mouthpieces will help you play a particular style of music, but that's down the road a large bit. You should just start with a good mouthpiece and go from there. There are a lot of suggestions for good mouthpieces in this thread and in this forum. The ONLY time that you need a specific mouthpiece is if you happen to be taught in a specific "school" of saxophone. For instance, I was taught by a couple students of Sigurd Rascher, thus I played on a Sigurd Rascher mouthpiece.
* ALL reeds are hit and miss for "good." I've mentioned before that the reeds I used on bari have been discontinued for years (Vandoren Modele Jazz). You should talk with your instructor to determine what's right for you.
* A real teacher is a requirement for beginners. The main reason is because it's a lot more difficult to fix bad habits than it is to instill good ones.

Moving thread to the appropriate forum.

I think a summary is in good order:

* If you want to sound like $player, you need to listen to $player as much as possible. Study his techniques.
* If you're a beginner, you WON'T sound like $player, regardless of which mouthpiece, reed, ligature, neck, or horn you have. Sounding even close to $player will take a lot of work. Start with the fundamentals and work your way up!
* Particular make/model mouthpieces will help you play a particular style of music, but that's down the road a large bit. You should just start with a good mouthpiece and go from there. There are a lot of suggestions for good mouthpieces in this thread and in this forum. The ONLY time that you need a specific mouthpiece is if you happen to be taught in a specific "school" of saxophone. For instance, I was taught by a couple students of Sigurd Rascher, thus I played on a Sigurd Rascher mouthpiece.
* ALL reeds are hit and miss for "good." I've mentioned before that the reeds I used on bari have been discontinued for years (Vandoren Modele Jazz). You should talk with your instructor to determine what's right for you.
* A real teacher is a requirement for beginners. The main reason is because it's a lot more difficult to fix bad habits than it is to instill good ones.

nice write up!

I got the fobes and my low register keys are shot... I can't get any lower than F...instantly turns into a high register.. I do got the Mark iii mouthpiece and it gives such a dark smoother sound but with this fobes I can't go low.. I thought it was going to be a easier mouthpiece?? got harder lol and I'm getting alot more squeaks than usual.

You can't just shove a new or different mouthpiece on the neck, clamp on and think you'd be done with it. It's like a new pair of shoes, they require some walking-in.
And maybe the reed you had on your other mouthpiece may not be the one that's optimal with the Fobes. Maybe try a notch harder or softer?

For instance, when I grab my sax with my clarinet embouchure in mind, it takes a while till I don't inadvertedly overblow the low notes. Ever since then I have a lot more respect for on-stage doublers...

Anyhow, give yourself some time. Get some more or less piece in your mouth, relax or tighten a bit more, noodle it till it fits.

You can't just shove a new or different mouthpiece on the neck, clamp on and think you'd be done with it. It's like a new pair of shoes, they require some walking-in.
And maybe the reed you had on your other mouthpiece may not be the one that's optimal with the Fobes. Maybe try a notch harder or softer?

For instance, when I grab my sax with my clarinet embouchure in mind, it takes a while till I don't inadvertedly overblow the low notes. Ever since then I have a lot more respect for on-stage doublers...

Anyhow, give yourself some time. Get some more or less piece in your mouth, relax or tighten a bit more, noodle it till it fits.

very true, I only played it 3 times since it came in the mail. I'll take your advice.
all I know is that when I first got the fobes, it didn't fit on my neck cork (to big) but I was able to push it in (alot of white residue from the cork peel off and I let it stay over night and now the fobes fit great but my old mouthpiece doesn't fit any more but I was told go with fobes all the way! so now that I am with it I have downgraded, can't play songs any more =( going back to regular scales c, b, a, g, f, nothing nothing.. if I play high register I can play everything but going to the low reg, its hard. It may be the reed but I first used my new 2.5 reed and I had no trouble with the high but low was a problem so I went to my normal 2.0 and still problem happen.. maybe i need to go to 1.5? but let me tell you guys the mark III lig is amazing... it really does give it a dark smooth sound compare to the old crappy metal one I had that came with the sax mouthpiece. could the mouth guard savor cause the problem? since my mouth is being up more up?

with the problems you are having I still recommend a couple lessons, or at the very least find a really good player (college, high school) and at least have them play your horn to see how good it is and maybe help you a bit.

It is so difficult online to resolve certain problems.

Back
Top Bottom