What to have in your kit?

I guess a standard question from a noob doubler might be, "What is a good collection of equipment to carry to practices and gigs for your clarinet needs?" It might be even better to ask if there's anything different to bring with your clarinet that you wouldn't already have for your sax, such as wood oil and clarinet reeds (duh).

spare reeds, a few small screwdrivers just in case can double for a spring hook
sometimes a spare mouthpiece comes in handy too

other than that you get to having too much stuff that won't fit in the normal clarinet case.

You should always make sure that if something starts going out of whack or falling off to have it corrected before the next practice (such as corks, etc). And it's always a good idea at least once a year to have a tech go over it briefly (especially students).

I generally carry all of my spare stuff in a duffle/gym bag. I can put an instrument stand, music folder, small screw driver set, spring hook puller, tooth picks, teflon tape, and electrical tape into it. I need to put a small pocket knife in it as well since my last one got taken from me when I flew in the spring.

When I play Bari sax I take a bigger bag so that I can fit the stand in it (I use a Hercules although I want a saxrax.

I've found that a crochet hook works pretty nicely. No need to splurge on the $7 "clarinet needle tool" when you can buy the $2 crochet hook :).

* Cork grease
* Reeds and reed cases (I have a nice, old metal one from Vandoren)
* Mouthwash (I try to get the stuff that tastes/smells "neutral")
* Fine sandpaper
* Spare mouthpiece
* Bore oil
* Swab(s)
* Jeweler's screwdrivers
* Stand(s)
* Music
* Bottled water

MusicMedic has a nice little kit that I wouldn't have minded havening myself. Although I wonder if you could find the parts cheaper someplace else. I just like to challenge myself in that way.

I've also always wanted a reed knife. Just to say I had one. I've also always wanted to go to one of those shops that say that they have "every kind of knife in the world" and ask if they have one. Because I know they wouldn't.

I've never had a need or use for a reed cutter.

you can get some nice jewelers screwdrivers (pretty good too) at the dollar store.

You guys certainly carry alot. I carry more when I have a sax with me, much more. but my clarinet can fit in my music stand bag and I generally don't have any issues.

How often do you use your bore oil on the road ?

Bore oil? Rarely. I just have it. :D

I forgot to mention that I also do have key oil in a bottle with a nifty little applicator. That goes with me. Hey, if I don't need it, the guy with the Mark VI with the original-style side keys will.

It's all good, but you forgot the fingering chart. I never leave home without one. ;)

I think I've been asked a question about a clarinet fingering once on a gig, where I actually needed a fingering chart to figure it out. That's about it. Some overly-insanely high altissimo note that should have been on a sopranino.

However, if I was going on a teaching gig, I'd definitely want to bring one.

It's not a bad idea, especially if the clarinet's more your "doubling" instrument than your main instrument.

Back
Top Bottom