What's your favorite notation software?

I've been playing some of my favorite Japanese tunes by ear and I thought I'd like to write them down.
What music notation software do you like for that kind of thing?

Finale and Sibelius are the most used by professionals, but the full versions are very expensive. I have been a Sibelius user since the mid 90's, but stopped upgrading several years ago. The company was sold, and the new owners (Avid) switched to a subscription model where you have to pay an annual fee.

Finale has a free version called Notepad. It's pretty basic, but sounds like it would work for your purposes. It is Windows only - no Mac version. Sibelius First is also free and has both Mac & Windows versions.

Musescore is also free and seems pretty robust. I haven't tried it, but a lot of folks swear by it. Windows, Mac, and Linux versions.

Thanks. I'll look for those.
Gizmo Freeware gives Musescore their top vote, with Notepad in the top three. The second one was LilyPond, which is at text based editor. They don't seem to like that feature.
The reviewer said he had to write out the sheet music first so he knew what he was typing.

The major advantage Finale and Sibelius is that you can play a MIDI controller into them and it automagically turns what you play into scored music. Mind you, you're going to need to edit that score, but at least it's something. I freely admit that I'm not a good enough keyboard player (the most common MIDI input device) to do that, so Musescore is just fine for me. No matter which software you go with, it helps immensely if you have a detachable 10-key keypad or an iPad with Custom Keypad.

If you need the power of Finale or Sibelius, what you can do is try to buy the software used or just an old version. I see a few copies of old versions under $100 on ebay. (If you're wondering, yes, it is legal to buy and sell used software in the US.)

FWIW, I used Finale for seven-ish years. That was a long time ago, though :D.

Like Pete, my keyboard skills weren't good enough to actually play the parts directly into the software, other than a note at a time. Might as well use your computer keyboard. The midi functionality that works for me is the ability to import an existing midi file and have it notate all the parts. The internet is loaded with free midi files of varying quality levels. There are also the midi backing tracks for sale from outfits like midi-hits.com.

If I need to pull an arrangement together quickly for my band, I can usually find a decent free file online, and then tweak it up in an hour or two.

Good idea, saxhound. There are quite a few of those kinds of tracks out there, especially for compositions that are rather popular. Japanese music? Well, I think some J-Pop bands might have something ...

Fortunately a lot of the classics have sheet music. It's just a question of arranging it to fit the clarinet.
I want to learn this one:

I have been using Musescore for over a year now. Hey, it's what all the kids are doing these days. ;)

Seriously though, I was told about it by one of the players in a small combo I play with. She in turn heard about it from a friend who is in his 4th year of music study at a local university. And yes, seriously, all the university students are using it in these parts.

I have a dear friend who has been doing my chart changes for the big band, 10-piece group, and sax quartet. He'll spend hours just to improve the arrangement for these groups. Then there is the solo tenor player who moves flute parts to his plate and transposes the tenor line he has as necessary for an alto sax.

My son does arrangements for me on occasion too. He even did a complete big band chart and captured the piano piece I created to paper for a Christmas present for me. I had a copy of Sibelius but only used it once to create a quartet for my grandson when he was in Jr. High. His friends played flute, trombone, and clarinet. He played bari sax and bass clarinet.

Yes, I live a charmed live.

It's funny. When I was working the (non-musical) day job full time, I really looked forward to weekends when I could sit for hours with Sibelius working (playing) on arrangements. From the late 1990's until about 2013 I did over 40 arrangements for big band, and about 160 3 -5 piece horn arrangements for my rock band(s). It was just a great release from the daily grind, and my musical theory knowledge also grew by leaps and bounds. I would rather do that than practice - probably because I had a couple evening rehearsals every week and regular gigs to keep my chops in shape.

I've been retired now a little over four years, and I can count on one hand the arrangements I have done from scratch. Now it seems like work. I would much rather pick up my horn and play. Life is strange.

I went with MuseScore to start. It looks like it has the best features as far as freeware goes.
I'm still figuring it out, but after a few tries I printed out my first success.
Furusato.jpg

Back
Top Bottom