Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Will the real Yanagisawa A-6 please stand up?

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
(Cross-posted on SOTW.)

As some of you might know, I've been researching Yanagisawa. I've got some preliminary stuff posted, but I keep editing. When I edit, if find inconsistencies.

I've seen a number of people selling horns that look like this. When people are questioned about it, they say that they looked up the serial number and "it fits" with the A-6. They don't have a stamp by the serial number that says "A-6." They just assume it's a 6. Which is fine and dandy until you see the A-4, which was stenciled as the "Dorado 500," amongst other names. The A-4 was produced until at least 1975, and I think it could have been produced all the way up to the introduction of the A-800/A-80, which was between 1977 and 1980, depending on your source material.

Here's something else: the A-6s I see being sold don't have an altissimo F# key. The T-6 has an altissimo F#. The A-600 has an altissimo F#. The older pro model, the A-5, has an altissimo F#. Even stencils have the altissimo F#.

So, anyone got an A-6 that's actually stamped "A-6" by the serial number? Can you post some pics?

Back
Top Bottom