Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Woodwind Forum Calendar Fundraiser ...

Okay, I'll take the missus' camera (8MP) and "do" the Bettoney Bari this weekend, if that's OK.
Thanks very much! It's extremely appreciated!

MrDibbs said:
Is that OK?
Certainly is. Thanks much!

Do you happen to know the maker of the horn and the approximate age? One of the few things I know about the tárogató is that the former isn't always stamped and that makes determining the latter a bit more iffy.

Gandalfe said:
Pick and comment as you see fit.
Ah! An embarrassment of riches! Do I HAVE to choose? You know I like including horns I haven't had in the calendar before.

1. I love the bass shots. I think I could definitely do something with "Eppie Big Iron to low A".
2. I think the F Mezzo pictures are also great. I might be able to do something with all three, if you don't mind.

Along the lines of the F mezzo, the pic with the typewriter, if you can make it big/close to big enough, I'll flip on the side and I'd make it the cover (small cover is the same size as normal, but the big cover is 4125x5775) and then put the other two on one page in the big calendar. The small calendar would have the "Just the Mezzo" shot, because I have less page real estate to play with.

Again I like all of 'em. I just happen to like the F Mezzo and the Eppie bass best.

MrDibbs said:
This isn't suitable for a calendar but you might find it interesting.
If it was attached to a horn, I'd definitely include it (e.g. a "portrait shot" of the horn with the mouthpiece and an inset box with a closeup of the mouthpiece). By the way, what instrument is that mouthpiece for? Taragato, as well? I want to say "sax", but I know that Taragatos don't necessarily have to have a "clarinet-style" mouthpiece.

The bass tárogató is by Gregus Pál. I don't know how old it is but it's certainly made within the within the last 10 years. He's made about 8 of them. They are copies of an old Stowasser that he found at a flea market. If anyone is interested I think he sells them for around 3000 Euros.

http://kezmuves.sugovica.hu/GregusPal/index.htm

The mouthpiece is an experimental soprano tárogató mouthpiece by János Gruber. It didn't work very well by all accounts and tickled his top lip.

Well!

I'm extremely happy to say that, with this last push, I think I'll have enough pics! Please, if you said that you're sending me something, g'head and do it!

If you still want to contribute calendar pics, please do so. If not for this upcoming year, then 2012. Hey, that's the year when the world's supposed to end. Make your mark!

Yeah, I need do that today or tomorrow. Pete, do you have out takes from prior years that you could use in a pinch in coming years? Just curious; my pics for this year are on their way.
Not really. I used all those up.

Brief update: I've finished editing 7 of 13 pics for the large calendar. I'm trying to do about 2 per night. The nice thing is that newer digital cameras produce a lot larger picture than they did even a couple years ago. That makes my life easier.

I'm still waiting for a few pics to come in, too!

I sent a somewhat rough draft of the big calendar off to Lulu for printout. It'll get to me in approximately two weeks. Hey, I got a 30% off coupon and had to use it by tomorrow.

I'm going to start on the small calendar in a few days and then get a printout. It'll be a bit!

... or less. Came in yesterday. Very nice.

There are a few things I need to tweak on the big calendar and then I'll start on the smaller one. one of these is that I want to see if they still have the glossy option available on the big calendar: the proof I got was printed on the linen stock.

I'm a-workin' on it.

What I did last year is that I just showed off the Lulu preview, because that shows both the pictures and the calendar portion (plus the binding). I'd like to do that again, but I've gotta tweak those two or three pics first!

Current plan: I will finish my corrections tomorrow and upload. That should mean that around this time tomorrow, it'll be online.

One of the tweaks will be easy: I just have to reduce it a bit to fit on the page. The other will be difficult: I think I'm going to have to play around with some cutting and pasting.

As promised (or threatened), the calendar preview is being generated. It's here.

The preview takes awhile to generate, so wait for about 1/2 hour from now to check it out.

1. This is a preview. It is NOT the final calendar. There are some sizing problems that I have to fix. It's also printing on the lower-res linen paper. So don't order one yet!
2. If your picture is in the calendar, please make sure that the caption is correct. E-mail me if it isn't! I'm at thesaxinfo@gmail.com or you can use the other e-mail addresses of mine you see on this forum.
3. Yes, the price for the big calendar will be $28.50-ish. It's still the same $4 profit for me that I split with the artists that I've had since 2006. I haven't started the small calendar, so I don't know pricing on that one.

A relatively important note for the folks that contributed to this project:

My father died suddenly on October 15. (We weren't close, so don't worry about me.) This has left me and my sister scrambling around making plans and calling lots of folks. It looks like that I'll be very busy over the next couple weeks, especially as he lived in TN, I live in AZ, my sister lives in TX and my father's relatives live in NY.

This means, as far as the calendar project goes, is that I probably won't be producing a small calendar. I just don't think I'll have the time. If I do, I'll definitely post about it.

As always, if you need me, please e-mail. I'll try to respond in a reasonable amount of time.

The final LARGE calendar is now available for purchase.

Final cost is $28.49 US. Shipping rates, US:

* US Mail: 5 to 15 days. $3.99 (took less than 5 days when I ordered this).
* UPS Ground: 2 to 5 days. $8.99.
* Expedited (FedEX, I think): 2 days. $16.99.
* Express (FedEX, I think): 1 day. $36.99.
* Rush Printing: any of the above + $35.00.

There are a variety of shipping methods for outside the US.

Please note that it takes Lulu between 2 and 7 days for Lulu to PRINT the calendar (in my experience), unless you pay for the "rush printing" option.

NOTES:
* If your horn was included in this year's calendar, please contact me at thesaxinfo@gmail.com so I can order for you. This saves $5 off the cost of each calendar. I can also roll in bulk discounts and any coupon codes I may have.
* According to this, you can get bulk discounts with as few as 5 calendars ordered.
* If I get any Lulu coupon codes, I will post them ASAP.
* If anyone finds any problems with attributions, taglines, or holidays, please contact me at thesaxinfo@gmail.com so I can fix 'em. I know that all the pics print OK. I've got a proof!
* I'll try to create that small banner ad in a few days.
* Again, please note my last post (10/16/2010): I'm in the midst of doing funeral arrangements and wrangling calls/e-mails from relatives, lawyers, etc. If I don't respond to your e-mail immediately, please give me some time. I may be out of town as early as 10/29.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was quick. Coupons:

PHOTOBER: 25% off entire order
HARVEST: 10% off entire order

Expires October 31.

==============

I did some checking with that order tool, too: 5 to 19 calendars is 17% off. 20 is 21% off. FWIW, if you order 100, you get the max discount of 40% ....

25% off coupon expired early due to "over use." Sorry 'bout that, but I'm happy enough people used it to get it to expire early!

OK, more coupon codes. Note that I've used them on my account already, so I can't use them anymore (in other words, I can't give the calendar artists these codes and order for them), but if you create an account and order for yourself, these codes should be valid.

These all expire on Nov. 1 @ 11:59pm.

* SPOOKY355: 30% off
* JACKOLANTERN355: 25% off
* TRICK305: 20% off
* LEAF305: 15% off
* HARVEST: 10% off
* TREAT305: 25% off -- but your order has to be at least $500 ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom