Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Woodwind Instrument Masks

This is just something I've been looking about for and was unable to find a real answer.

Are there any effective bell masks for woodwinds such as clarinet or saxophone? I found a website that sells some for brass instruments and they seem pretty effective because they block the bell, which is the only opening that harmful COVID particles can escape through. However, as is the case of a woodwind, there are many tone holes that particles can make it through. I read a study that a cloth sack covering the entire clarinet can minimize risk of spread without affecting sound, but I haven't been able to find any of those cloth sacks for sale. I was just wondering if any of you guys had any more information on the matter because I'm going to be playing in a university setting and I'd much rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks guys! Stay safe!

The research is still out. There have been no peer-reviewed studies published on wind instruments and COVID. There is one that started this month in the US with preliminary findings due out in August, but until we see that data, we really don't know anything.

Yes, I have seen some company making covers for brass and woodwinds, and you are right, for woodwinds, the air--and therefore aerosolized particles--will come out of the tone holes. Flutes in particular have been ID'd has potentially problematic since they are played transversely and not downwards, and require much more forceful air than say a sax, clarinet, oboe, or bassoon.

I don't know of any music programs that are going ahead as before. It is best to check with your university to find out what their plans are.

I know I am not wasting my $$ on anything at this point. The ridiculous covers I have seen for sale change your sound, and really do not protect from COVID. Some symphonies in Europe have gone the route of Lucite surrounds for their players, along with physical distancing of a min. of 2m for all their players. This is based on some non-peer reviewed studies conducted by 7 symphonies in Berlin.

Just this morning I also heard of a study going on in the UK that is also going to be peer-reviewed that looks at not only wind instruments but singers as well.

I wonder if something like http://saxophone-mute.com would work. At the very least, it seems to allow you to play without a ligature and reed.

More seriously, I do think that there might be more of an issue of "droplets" coming off the mouthpiece, even if the entire instrument is "encased." Then there's the question of what's growing in/on your horn, mouthpiece, and reed after you play. Eww.

I'm with Helen: don't sink your $$ into anything, yet. Or go ahead. I'm just some random poster on the internet. I could be a bot.

You're a funny bot, I mean guy Pete. At least I assume you're a real person. If you're a bot, you do a hell of an impersonation of a family man. Those sounds of a wife, daughter, and pets in a the background when we talk on the phone the phone are awesome!! itd_3d_ani_w60_smiles_044.gif

Back
Top Bottom