Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Would love some advice !

I still welcome anyone to send me a Chinese- or Taiwanese-made horn to check out. I think the last one I tried was around 10 years ago. Maybe more. I don't get out much.

I would welcome any tech to post a make/model that is both good and good to work on and/or easy to get parts for. That really shoots down a lot of the "house brand" horns. It's also one of the reasons to recommend a Yamaha. I'm also unsure about durability.

I see 675 current listings for "yamaha alto sax" on ebay and 750 completed listings. I didn't even include the Yamaha 23 Vito-labeled horns.

I have been called upon to help parents, friends, and such find their intruments as late bloomers. I have often been surprised that during the play test how often they pick the more expensive instrument rather than going for the cheaper, lesser-known instrument. I will continue to recommend play tests to my friends and family when called upon to recommend an instrument.

I've always maintained that it's not necessarily what you buy, it is who you buy it from that is the most important. When you figure that out, the make and model get figured out too. Good, local repair people are excellent sources of good horns, and service is an inevitability with woodwind instruments so it's good to develop that relationship.

Back
Top Bottom