Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Would you run outta` breath?

Hello guys and girls!

I'm working on a piece of music the contains trumpet parts.
But I'm in doubt if some of the parts are too long?
As in the trumpet player would run out of breath playing the price.

I know very little about the techniques used to play the trumpet, so I hope you can help me out.

Thanks.

Dropbox link to the sheet music here:

- Lasse

Last edited:
I haven't looked at the part but as a bari and bass sax player I am often not able to complete a musical phrase to save my life! I used to have so much more air capacity. So depending upon the music I figure out where I can gasp to pull in as much air as possible. Where it works I will annotate my music to indicate "Gasp". I did try to work on circular breathing, but it didn't work for me. As a whistler, I can whistle both in and out so I never run out of air. So I *do* know the value of circular breathing.

There'll be need for some sneak breaths in some of that. What needs to be looked at is your rhythmic notation. Lots of problems there. And I guess you intend trills through a lot of that, but that's not how to notate them. Also, why is there every now and then two simultaneous trumpet notes. I can't tell if this is supposed to be a tonal piece, but even if it is I don't know if you need all those key signature changes. They're short enough to be transient. Also, crescendo hairpins with no terminal dynamic. And abbreviate trumpet as Tpt.

I'm the sneakiest baritone sax player in the world. Finding a spot to breathe is an art, and I seldom get caught. It's harder to "hide" on trumpet, but still possible. One hint - breathe early when you don't need air yet, and people are less likely to notice.

I like that-- breathing early thing! If a long period is coming up with no place to breathe I may hyperventilate some (don't do it too much and get dizzy)-- maybe in the rests before the long part. I may even leave out a note or two if a particular passage coming up is both long and technically hard. I am fortunate that our band has always had a monster 1st clarinet section, so all the notes always get covered.
Not sure if this helps for trumpet, but it does on clarinet when playing those orchestral transcription violin parts in a band. Hey, violin players can breathe any time they want.

Back
Top Bottom