Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Yamaha CS series versus SE series

I've been reading everything I can about the CE and SE series of Yamaha clarinets. According to the Yamaha web site: "The CS series has a shorter and narrower inner bore taper followed by a longer straight section which allows the clarinet to deliver a straight, concentrated and clear tone. The SE series of Yamaha Custom clarinets has a longer and wider inner bore taper and has a shorter straight section than the CS series. This design allows the clarinet to deliver a soft and rich tone." Leaving Hamilton plating out of the mix, both instruments appear to be worthy players. Why is the CE series about $1,200 more than the SE series if the changes in design are so minor?

At WWBW, which is the place I go to for prices because the URL is fun to type, the CSVR is $2999 and the SEV is $2769 (both silver-plated keywork). Yes, I suppose we could also pimp Quinn's CSVA at $1950 (Jim, you should tell Quinn that I'm pretty sure his number isn't "xxx-xxx-xxxx." Or, of course, eBay is censoring his phone number).

Oh. Sorry. I got the Canadian exchange rate wrong. I think it's now $1.26. :p

Found the prices at WWBW. I think where I'm confused and confusing everyone else is that I want to know the differences among the YCL-CSGII Series, the YCL-SEV series, and the YCL-CSVR Series. It's s the price difference that I'm interested, rather, it's the reason why CSGs are more expensive. what is it that the CSG has that the CSVs do not have? Hopefully, I'm not just muddying the water. Thx.

The CS, CX, and V series horns are all Yamaha custom models. Which one is better for you is going to be a matter of opinion. What's the difference between each? Here's the Yamaha clarinet brochure. TL;DR: Barrel length, low E/F correction key, thumbrest, included mouthpiece, key plating, Eb lever, barrel and bell shape, etc., etc.

The CSG III is the current top of Yamaha's clarinet line.

============

EDIT: I can't find the CSG III in the US, but I'm not exactly looking hard. Howarth's has it for 2118 Pounds Sterling, which is about $3200 US. So, that's a $300 - $500 difference in price between the CSVR and the SEV.

Why is the CE series about $1,200 more than the SE series if the changes in design are so minor?
There's no "CE series," as far as I can Google, and it's not a $1200 difference in price, unless you're looking for the store that's charging the most. :p

If the question is, "Why the CSG is more expensive than the SEV or CSVR?" then see the TL;DR above. It's essentially up to you if that's worth the $300 to $500 difference in price. Personally, I kinda stopped reading the Yamaha ad copy when they started talking about how the keywork material dramatically affects the tone.

Last edited by a moderator:
The CSG is more different than the other models so maybe it simply costs them more to manufacture. For example its top section and barrel are very different than other models, so if it needs a separate assembly line that can raise the price a lot. Or maybe they need another "station" (and/or paychecks) for this model. That doesn't mean it's better though.

I've tried all of these models and thought they were all very good. I couldn't say one was necessarily better than the others. It's matter of preference.

Back
Top Bottom