Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Yamaha digital sax?

I have been intrigued by the new Yamaha digital saxophone (YDS-150). I don't play the saxophone (played very briefly), but have always liked the sound and the thing that I find the coolest about the YDS is that you can adjust the volume and use headphones. I absolutely love playing the flute and I like everything about the flute - except for the fact that it is loud in a house with 2 kids and a wife. It's hard for me to find great times to practice and recently I have been playing a lot of acoustic bass guitar because it allows me to play pretty quiet music. I guess my questions is it seems the saxophone fingering is pretty similar to flute, would this potentially be a good solution? The only thing that I don't really like about the YDS is it doesn't take any special embouchure and one of the things I like about the flute is how much I have had to really work on tone. Anyways, would like to hear what you guys think.
-pp

To me the biggest drawback with it is the fact that you cannot control the pitch with the reed. Sax embouchure is so much a part of playing and the YDS doesn't work for that.

So much of my expression on sax is by manipulating subtle nuances of pitch: scooping up to pitch, variable vibrato depending on the note and it's relationship to the song, intentionally playing a bit flat or sharp for tension, and so on. Plus I shape the sound by changing my embouchure and oral cavity. All these won't work with the YDS. I read there is a thumb control for vibrato but I don't know how that works.

That might not be a thing for you.

The fingerings are close enough to the flute that you will probably not have a problem. When I learned flute, the few different fingerings were awkward at first, but now when I pick the flute up I do flute fingerings and with the sax, sax fingerings.

This isn't necessarily a criticism, just an observation. How it affects you is up to you to decide.

If you get one, I hope it's all you want it to be.

Insights and incites by Notes

Top Bottom