Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Yamaha XT-1 vs. Yamaha 72 Bb Soprano? Help a guy out here!

I recently found a Model 72 Yamaha Bb Soprano SN 0010XX. It is in excellent condition with no cracking/pinning and quite playable. My college daughter currently plays a Yamaha XT-1 that we purchased new in 2009. My question is this: All things being equal, if you had to choose between playing the more modern XT-1 or moving back to the 72 from 1985 or so, which would be the best choice over the long term? My daughter is in her last year of studio lessons, and will NOT be on a performance track. I'd just like her to have the better of the two instruments. Also, we are having a few minor issues taken care of with the instrument at a reputable shop. In top playing condition, what would the Model 72 be worth for both private party resale and insurance purposes. Thanks for any input or insight you can provide!

I actually hadn't heard of the XT-1 until I read this, so I'm hoping that Steve Sklar or one of the folks on this forum that has more clarinet knowledge than me can reply -- and I'm supposed to be the guy that knows all things Yamaha. However, I'm here first :p. (It is interesting that the XT-1's not listed on either the European or USA Yamaha website.)

Everything I've read about the XT-1 over the past 20 or so minutes seems to point to "advanced intermediate" or "intermediate professional" model. I do know the 72: that's the professional model that was around right before the Custom series. Based solely on that, I'd choose the 72 over the XT-1.

As far as insurance value, I'm one to recommend that anything is insured for replacement value. In other words, if you're insuring the XT-1, you'd insure it for the price of a new YCL-650 (or 550; I've seen posts that say that one or both were the successor to the XT-1), which is about $1300. If you're insuring the 72, insure it for the price of a new CSV, which is about $2700.

Thanks for responding

I actually hadn't heard of the XT-1 until I read this, so I'm hoping that Steve Sklar or one of the folks on this forum that has more clarinet knowledge than me can reply -- and I'm supposed to be the guy that knows all things Yamaha. However, I'm here first :p. (It is interesting that the XT-1's not listed on either the European or USA Yamaha website.)

Everything I've read about the XT-1 over the past 20 or so minutes seems to point to "advanced intermediate" or "intermediate professional" model. I do know the 72: that's the professional model that was around right before the Custom series. Based solely on that, I'd choose the 72 over the XT-1.

As far as insurance value, I'm one to recommend that anything is insured for replacement value. In other words, if you're insuring the XT-1, you'd insure it for the price of a new YCL-650 (or 550; I've seen posts that say that one or both were the successor to the XT-1), which is about $1300. If you're insuring the 72, insure it for the price of a new CSV, which is about $2700.

As I understand it, sometime in the mid 2000s, Texas based Brooks Mays Music commissioned yamaha to make a line of instruments they would feature in their retail stores, all with the "XT-1" model name. I know they may XT-1 clarinets and trumpets, not sure what other winds. The XT-1 is certainly a relabeled YCL-650 with the same features. It came with a less expensive one piece case (no cover) and a cheapie 4C mouthpiece. Otherwise, it has the silver keys, not nickel, adjustable thumb rest with neck strap eye, upgraded springs, etc. It's really a beautiful instrument, and I'm surprised I don't see more of them around.

After I bought the YCL-72, I had it put over Eric Satterlee's bench at Meridian Winds in Lansing, MI. It is now in tip top playing condition, and he confirmed it was in excellent shape with no performance issues. My daughter says it feels more like an R-13 than her XT-1/YCL-650, and she's opting to hold onto the newer model she currently owns. I think the thing we're most likely to do is to list the 72 for sale, so if you know anyone who may be interested, or can offer a ball park as to what a reasonable and fair asking price for the instrument may be, I'd appreciate it greatly. Thanks!

I think the thing we're most likely to do is to list the 72 for sale, so if you know anyone who may be interested, or can offer a ball park as to what a reasonable and fair asking price for the instrument may be, I'd appreciate it greatly. Thanks!
Help us to help you. Please read this. (Note that you need more posts if you want to post something here for sale.)

My daughter says it feels more like an R-13 than her XT-1/YCL-650, and she's opting to hold onto the newer model she currently owns.
That's kind of an interesting comment. I've never felt that the Yamahas I played were really "R13-like." In any event, why not just get an R13? Older used ones can be bought for something near that $1300 mark. It's the newer ones that are expensive. Well, you could probably sell both the 72 and XT-1 and have cash for a newer R13 and/or try to trade them in. Hey, two Yamahas for one Buffet!

Otherwise, it has the silver keys, not nickel
Nickel plated keywork doesn't necessarily mean a lower-quality horn. Some folks get nickel plated keywork because they're allergic to silver. It's an option on the R13. 'Course, there's gold plating, too. (Also, FWIW, Yamaha does say that the keywork plating makes a difference in the horn's tone. I think that's a bunch of hooey ....)

Back
Top Bottom