pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I've owned:

2 YAS-23s
1 YTS-23
1 YBS-52

Good horns. A tad bright, but decent tone. Good intonation. Not terribly resistant. "Modern" keywork on the 52 (which is now the 475, I think). Somewhat fragile, tho.

============

I very much like the Yamaha saxophones.

About 20 years ago, I was shopping for a baritone to replace my Keilwerth-made Bundy. I got a 52 after I tried the 62 and a whole host of other baritones. Here are some comments:

First, the 52 was all of $2100, then, and I only paid $1800 for it. The 62 was probably the same percentage more expensive than the 52 back then that it is now -- about 50% -- thus my major question was, is the 62 50% better than the 52?

Nope.

There are differences between the 52 and 62: cosmetics (62's got the dark lacquer and the engraving), the one-piece bell (which does make a difference), the real "inset" mother-of-pearl keys (which makes a slight difference in the feel -- and they don't pop off as easily), the 52 has "post on body" key construction and the 62 has "ribbed and flanged" (that means the 62's a bit more rugged and has a somewhat lighter feel) and the 62 has the "annealed" brass (allegedly imparts some extra "warmth" to the tone).

In my opinion, the biggest thing was the bell tones: it's a bit -- and it's a small, but noticeable bit -- harder to get the bell notes to sound on the 52. Primarily, you just have to use a little more air, which is sometimes a bit difficult or inconvenient.

However, my only other real choices at the time were the Selmer USA, Jupiter and Vito: I wanted a low A. I was unimpressed by the Jupiter or Vito. The Selmer USA just didn't play very well (and had poor keywork). I tried the Selmer Super 80 Serie II, but it was out of my price-range AND the altissimo didn't speak very well for me.

All in all, my Keilwerth bari had better tone, but the Yamaha had so much better playability, intonation and keywork (plus a low A), so I went for the Yamaha.

I traded a Buffet Dynaction alto and sold the Keilwerth-made Bundy bari myself (I still remember: $800) to get the Yamaha.

A little while after I got my baritone, I had a need to get an alto. I tried a variety of Selmer horns (USA pro, which I think was the 300 at the time, S80 II and S80 III) and then the entire Yamaha SERIES of horns: 23, 52, 62, 855 and 875. The 875 was, hands down, the best horn out there: beautifully dark tone, good intonation, pretty to look at -- but I had problems with the altissimo. The 855 was a tad brighter, but I had problems with the altissimo (and I could easily recommend the 855 -- if they currently made it -- if you believe that the 62's too bright and the Custom 875 is too dark, that is).

So, I went to the YAS-62 -- and I felt essentially the same way I felt with the YBS-62 compared to the 52: it's a nice horn, but not 50% nicer than the YAS-52 (that'd be today's YAS-475).

I ended up buying the 23. For $500. New. Why the 23? Well, the 52 was definitely superior, but the 23 wasn't a bad little horn, it wasn't going to be my main axe and ... $500.

Several years later, I bought another 23 for approximately the same price. I was very happy with it. However, I did realize something.

The Yamaha 23 is fairly fragile. The 52, a little less so, but not in the same class as my Keilwerth-made horn.

While a lot of people denigrate the Selmer USA Bundy II, they neglect three positives:

*It plays in tune. Even after major damage.
*It can take heavy beating.
*It's really cheap.

Now, the Bundy II has a rather "plain" sound and the Yamaha 23 through 62 have a "bright" sound -- almost tinny, but not quite, and that "tinniness" is less pronounced as you go up the model chart. The Bundy II has a lot less ergonomic and convenient keywork than the 52, but really isn't terribly better or worse than the 23.

(I should also mention that the Yamahas come with pretty decent mouthpieces -- they look and play similar to Vandoren mouthpieces -- which is very good if you don't have one of your own. Selmer Bundy II's came with Bundy II mouthpieces. I can call those "usable", at best.)

So, in the past, when I had been asked by folks which student horn to get, I'd say, "A Yamaha 23, if your kid won't abuse it. A Bundy II, if he will."

Another thing is that you can still pick up a used good condition Bundy or YAS-23 for very, very little cash on eBay ($200 or so for a very good condition Bundy II alto and $500 or so for a very good condition YAS-23). However, if you can convince the beginning student not to beat on the instrument, the 52/475 is probably the best choice: it's got the same bore as the 62 pro-level horns, it has modern keywork and has a decent enough tone. It can easily last a pro throughout his career, if necessary.

============

The 23s were sold at some point. The 52 was sold to a school district to get cash for a car. (The car turned out to be junk.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm not sure if I can really add anything to what has already been said here. I will second that the Yamaha mouthpieces are great. Recently, I've been using a 4C on my New Wonder, and I rarely use anything other than Otto Link metal pieces. The 4C has been really fun to play on. The 23's are GREAT little horns. I've used both alto and tenor for long periods of time, and never had a gripe about either. Intonation is as spot on as it gets with a saxophone. The tone is thinner than what some may like, but it is a student horn after all. The horns are light, but I wouldn't consider them fragile. If anything, the keys are a little easier to bend than they probably should be, but you still have to abuse the horn to bend the keys anyway. Parts are so readily available for these models that they're probably the most rebuildable student horn that you can buy today. These horns are still fetching around $1,500 new, and you would be crazy to pay this price. Check the local newspaper and you'll easily find a parent selling one for $300 after their child decided to play trumpet instead.

I've played the 475 models in soprano and alto. The alto was very close to the sound and playability of the 62. The tone had just a tad more depth than the 23, but not quite as much as you would expect out of a pro horn. Intonation was very good. The 475 soprano was a gem. It had the easiest speaking palm keys I've ever played on a soprano. In fact, the notes came out just as easy as they would on alto. The ergonomics and intonation were great too. I think that the springs are standard wire as opposed to blued steel. Other than that, and the plastic key touches, this horn is very much on the level of the professional horns.

The 62 tenor and alto I tried were the real deal. The tenor was actually very similar to my SA80, but I think that the palm keys were a little thin and a tad on the sharp side. The rest of the tone was bright and modern, and altissimo was easy to pop out. The ergonomics are almost identical to the Selmer Series II, with only a few slight differences (most notably the design of the front F key). The alto was good all around. The tone was bright, but not thin like the 23 and 475. I've also played on several of the alto 61's which the 62 replaced. The 61 is also a good model, but does not feel or sound quite as refined as the 62's. Not saying that the 61 is inferior. I've come across several pro's who swear by their 61's.

I have played on several YBS-52's that my high school owned. I do not play Bari sax that often so I really can't comment on them that much. I did like the feel and tone on these horns better than the brand new Jupiter bari that the school also purchased. One of the 52's was seriously abused in the marching band, but looked and played great after it went through a rebuild.

All in all, I think that Yamaha may be the most consistent saxophone on the market today. I probably wouldn't trade my Selmer tenor in for one anytime soon, but they do not deserve the flack that I often read on the web.

Yamaha Allegro

How would you rate the Allegro? and is 1200 too much to pay for an alto in mint condition?
Thanks, Manny Chavez

575AL? Well, it's closer to the 62 pro model than the 34 (it had the 62 neck, but 34 bell), but it was $1800, new.

$1200 might be a tad overpriced. You might want to check eBay to see the prices.

Re: YAS-23 and Bundy II.

My biggest complaint about the YAS-23 is the height of the octave key which is quick to fix. The Bundy II's biggest issue is that the placement of the pinky cluster is poor and keywork has a spungy feel to it because of subpar spring setup.

I am, however, glad you advocate the Bundy II as a low cost alternative. the Price of some 23's is a bit rediculous, and in my opinion, it's far from the best horn in the World...

Old thread but thought to reply anyway.

the real "inset" mother-of-pearl keys (which makes a slight difference in the feel -- and they don't pop off as easily)
When actually playing most players don't notice the difference between some plastic pearls and real pearls. For some people, their sweat kills pearl, so plastic pearls are a better choice (a local player had all real pearls almost vanish after only 10 years). However these are minority and most don't have a problem. Real pearls have the advantage of less likely to burn when heating key cups.

the 52 has "post on body" key construction and the 62 has "ribbed and flanged" (that means the 62's a bit more rugged and has a somewhat lighter feel)
I agree that ribbed posts is more rugged, in that the adjustment is more stable. But lighter? Ribs add weight. Or if you mean the action, ribs don't change that at all if everything else stays the same. But some non-ribbed designs can be very good too, it's not a huge deal (though some designs can be poor).

In my opinion, the biggest thing was the bell tones: it's a bit -- and it's a small, but noticeable bit -- harder to get the bell notes to sound on the 52. Primarily, you just have to use a little more air, which is sometimes a bit difficult or inconvenient.
This is almost always from leaks, are you absolutely sure there weren't any? Here is the thing about Yamaha models, the lower the model is, the more mechanical problems it has built in from the factory. Some of those problems are non-level tone holes, loose keys (free play around rod screws) and rod screws loose in posts. All this contributes to it being impossible for adjustment to ever be great, before these issues are fixed. I also don't especially like the Bis Bb hinge design on YTS-23. The fact that 23s can play great from new just shows how great playing saxophones they are and can play in spite of problems that would feel worse on some other models. The higher model Yamaha you have, more of these problems start to improve or disappear.

I ended up buying the 23. For $500. New. Why the 23? Well, the 52 was definitely superior, but the 23 wasn't a bad little horn, it wasn't going to be my main axe and ... $500.
The 23 is a really a very good playing saxophone. Some people don't like it and some people don't like any Yamaha, but that's subjective and doesn't change anything about what the 23 really is. I've played some 23s that I liked almost as much as any saxophone. Never as much as my favorite models, but not a huge difference.

The Yamaha 23 is fairly fragile. The 52, a little less so, but not in the same class as my Keilwerth-made horn.
I disagree with this. I just don't think the 23 is fragile at all. Removing dents from Yamaha 23 is very hard compared with most models and the body is very strong. Keys are IMO also well designed and mostly very solid. From all the old Yamaha 23s and Bundy IIs I see, the 23s usually are better (though who knows what they have been through).

While a lot of people denigrate the Selmer USA Bundy II, they neglect three positives:

*It plays in tune. Even after major damage.
*It can take heavy beating.
*It's really cheap.
I agree, but the problems are far worse. Those positives don't help if the instrument is in terrible condition. Every single Bundy II I've seen, and there were many, was in awful condition, not worth repairing completely. In addition to the problems I mentioned with 23, which almost always exist on the Bundy II too (except sometimes the loose rods in posts), there are a million other problems, starting with terrible key design that makes adjustments very difficult. I've just never seen even one that was worth the repairs to make it completely seal with light touch and in a relaible condition to last. The worst ones were a few that were bought from ebay, supposedly in good condition.

Now, the Bundy II has a rather "plain" sound and the Yamaha 23 through 62 have a "bright" sound -- almost tinny, but not quite, and that "tinniness" is less pronounced as you go up the model chart. The Bundy II has a lot less ergonomic and convenient keywork than the 52, but really isn't terribly better or worse than the 23.
Some people really like the tone of the 23. I would say it is not a very deep tone. I'm not sure what else to call it. IMO the keywork of the Bundy II is far less ergnomic and less comfortable than Yamaha 23. One thing about 23s, I don't really like the stainless steel springs. The designs seems decent actually in terms of length but they feel a bit sluggish. It looks like it's just the type of steel they use makes this feel. A good design with blue steel springs or better stainless steel springs (such as the ones made by Kraus) would feel better.

So, in the past, when I had been asked by folks which student horn to get, I'd say, "A Yamaha 23, if your kid won't abuse it. A Bundy II, if he will."
After all I've seen, I would just never recommend a Bundy II unless I checked that specific one and thought it was in good condition (so far none). I haven't found any problems from kids using student Yamahas, always very reliable.

Nitai

I would like to add my observations on the Bundy II alto saxophones. In my repair position I PC (play condition) at least a hundred of these each year. When I first started, I had a very low opinion of the saxophone because of the way it played and the poor key feel and ergonomics. (It didn't feel like my Selmer SBA or Yamaha Custom).

Over time I have come to really appreciate the Bundy II as the real "workhorse" of music education. It is built like a tank to take the bumps and drops that are inevitable with beginning and junior high players. We have many in our rental pool that have been rented over 12 times. They come back in, we knock out the dents and fix the leaks and send them back into battle.

The intonation is very good especially the octaves, and the tone an evenness of scale are surprisingly good for a budget student instrument.

The one thing that must be done on these saxes to make them play well is to take the "bubble" out of the neck receiver just below the slot. What happens is that when the neck starts to get loose, the player tightens the neck screw more and more closing the slot. This creates the bubble below the slot that leaks air---even when the neck feels tight. It is easy to do this by inserting a steel pin plug that fits snugly and tapping around that area. I use a 1/2" thick block of delrin with a half circle ground on one side that matches to curvature of the tenon receiver to tap on. Once the bubble is removed and the neck is refit the Bundy II really sings if the other leaks are taken care of. Of the hundred or so of Bundy II's that I have worked on, not one had an airtight neck when first tested with the leak isolator.

My very favorite Bundy is the old model that is the same as a Buescher, but that is the topic of another thread.

So, I went to the YAS-62 -- and I felt essentially the same way I felt with the YBS-62 compared to the 52: it's a nice horn, but not 50% nicer than the YAS-52 (that'd be today's YAS-475).
Yes, the law of diminishing returns applies to everything, even saxophones. But sometimes it's worth paying the disproportionate difference, if only for personal satisfaction.

I'd like to mention, again, that I didn't have too many choices and I had a limited budget. That's why I can say that the 62 was definitely a better horn, but not enough to justify the price difference. For me, at least. If I didn't have to worry about the cash, I definitely would have gotten the 62.

You'll also see that Gandalfe often mentions that I should try a newer Yani bari. Some day, I might. However, this is a thread about Yamaha horns :).

I should try a newer Yani bari. Some day, I might. However, this is a thread about Yamaha horns :).
Sorry to change the subject :)

About a year ago in Musikmesse I did a bari round to compare all the baris. It was close between Selmer Paris, Yamaha and Yanagisawa, but the solid silver Yanagisawa came out on top, from what I could remember. So this year I did a bari round again, with very different results. From the big four, the Yanagisawa came out last. It had clear response issues (although small) that the others didn't have. Not a result of leaks, just in the upper register. The silver one wasn't the best this time, I preferred the 991 and 992. But Keilwerth I think had a leaky one last time because this time it was just great, tied for best with Selmer Paris SIII and Yamaha. All those three are very different from each other (Selmer didn't have the SII this time but I've tried many times before and I prefer the SIII, although both are excellent). The Yamaha 62 has the most unique tone and the Selmer the best "normal" tone (i.e. I think most people would prefer it). FWIW.

Back
Top Bottom