Your dream arrangement

If you could pick a song and arrange it to your personal liking, what would it be and how would you arrange it? It can be any song and it can be any arrangement whether it's your own arrangement or a well-known arrangement like big band arrangement or concert band arrangement. For just this time, the sky's the limit; it's your imagination and you have no limits. For me, I would arrange Dolly Parton's "Get Out and Stay Out" (9 to 5 The Musical version) for piano, synth pad, synth strings, electric bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, drums, chimes, flute, bass clarinet, solo trumpet, and solo trombone. I really like that particular version and this particular arrangement has been bouncing in my head. Now I turn it to you. Remember, for this thread there are no limitations and the sky's the limit.

John Cage's 4' 33". I'd arrange it for alto saxophone. I've never heard that done.

Speaking of arranging, I used to do a lot of re-arranging to fit the instrumentation that we had available in the band/orchestra I was working with. The fun thing about that is that I had a ton of electronic synths and samplers, so I was able to make things sound closer to what I wanted. Unfortunately, in the 20ish years since I did that, there aren't any significantly better sample playback units out there.

Speaking of arrangements, I am looking to expand my collection of 6 horn charts (plus vocal) for my two project bands. I see that Shaun Evans of Pepperhorn Music has a wide variety of charts on offer, all of them available in a wide spectrum of arrangement styles for various groups.

I've tried a few of his for my full group, and they are workman enough. But, I am leery of jumping in on the 6 horn stuff until I have some idea of his arranging skills in that arena. The instrumentation is so sparse that I am reluctant to extend the same opinion of his 6 horn stuff when his full group stuff is only "adequate".

Has anyone else used any of his 6 horn stuff? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Back
Top Bottom